Answered Upward firing recommendations for Atmos

Stuart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will shortly be upgrading from a dying Onkyo 876 to a Denon X4300H & fancy dipping my toes into Atmos.

I currently have a 5.1 system (XTZ 99.26 LCR & Mission 77DS rears), so looking at a 5.1.2 setup. Need upward firing as live in a middle flat so in-ceiling not practical.

Can I get a pair of decentish for around £150?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
I got the Onkyo SKH410 from Richer Sounds for £100 that work fine, not the best but for the price I can't fault them I think the next one up is the Kef upfiring but they run at around £500.

The Onkyos are your entry level and are really the only ones in your price range at £129. Elac Debut £249, PSB Imagine £349, KEF R50 £599.

To position them correctly they need to be fitted on top of or as near as possible to the front left and right speakers. The ceiling needs to be perfectly flat and finished in a reflective surface. The Onkyo and have mixed reviews and are the smallest with the largest being the R50s. In terms of performance the PSBs are popular with members with. The R50s do a great job.

I got the Onkyo SKH410 from Richer Sounds for £100 that work fine, not the best but for the price I can't fault them I think the next one up is the Kef upfiring but they run at around £500.

The Onkyos are your entry level and are really the only ones in your price range at £129. Elac Debut £249, PSB Imagine £349, KEF R50 £599.

To position them correctly they need to be fitted on top of or as near as possible to the front left and right speakers. The ceiling needs to be perfectly flat and finished in a reflective surface. The Onkyo and have mixed reviews and are the smallest with the largest being the R50s. In terms of performance the PSBs are popular with members with. The R50s do a great job.

Thanks both of you. I'm probably just going for entry level for now, so the Onkyos. My ceiling is concrete with a painted artex finish. Will that be ok?

Thanks both of you. I'm probably just going for entry level for now, so the Onkyos. My ceiling is concrete with a painted artex finish. Will that be ok?
Yes, ceiling is fine.:smashin:

My ceiling is artexed and I have them sitting on my rear side speakers not through choice though and they sound fine.

My ceiling is artexed and I have them sitting on my rear side speakers not through choice though and they sound fine.
Razy, how have you named your atmos speakers? ie front height etc. thanks.

As they are on the surround speakers they are named SDL and SDR, if I had them on the front then FDL and FDR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom