UPVC fascia "salesmen"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HMHB, Jan 22, 2008.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    Does anyone else get plagued with people coming to their doors trying to sell them UPVC fascias ? I get at least one every week and sometimes it's 2 or 3.
    Most of them are incredibly rude and pushy as well, with one of them telling me I must be stupid if I didn't take him up on his offer :eek: He seemed put out when I told him to :censored: off !

2. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I hate anyone coming to my door to sell me something, I personally don't think it's right. If you want a service you should go to them....

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    Does anyone have one of those "no salesmen" stickers on their door ? Does it work ?

4. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Nope, but we do get energy salesmen around here. Latest one was from Scottish Power, he implied that I was stupid not to take up his offer. I replied "****, you buy all your power from EON anyway" (yeah I know they don't, but nothing like a wild accusation and no chance to defend it :D ) and slammed the door in his face.

****ing ****.

5. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    no it won't ,as Pikeys can't read

6. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    I don't have one but I doubt they work :D

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    just say something like your property is listed as the late great albert windowstein used to live there, as such you must preserve it.

8. thefragile

thefragile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    i dont get them were i am :)

I do get the DVLA clamping cars down my road once a month though, i keep up to date on my tax :)

9. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Just tell them you're renting the place or moving - they leave you alone quick enough. Or if you're male, tell them you're expecting your partner home anytime soon, and he makes all the decisions.

10. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I got told I was stupid by some young scrote asking me to switch to N-power for my supplier. I politely said I wasn't interested thanks and he replied "what you dont want to save money, are you stupid".

Well this didn't amuse me and I was struggling with my need to let the dog have a chat with him, but I simply replied

well I'm in here dry and warm, I have a good job, I work hard to afford a nice car and can afford to stay with my existing supplier. You're out there cold and wet knocking on people's doors and being told to Members must not Post swear words in such a way as to circumvent the forums' built-in swear word removal system (including in signatures) off, so why don't you do just that. Members must not Post swear words in such a way as to circumvent the forums' built-in swear word removal system (including in signatures) off home and have a think who's the stupid one here.

Then I let the dog have him - he's only a springer spaniel, but he tries :D

11. and36

and36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use to tell them that I was renting the place and the landlord was living abroad (in case the pushy salesman suggested leaving literature for the landlord), I did use to say if I wanted a loaf of bread I would go to the shop to buy one and that I wouldn't wait for the baker to knock at my door so Members must not Post swear words in such a way as to circumvent the forums' built-in swear word removal system (including in signatures) off but that didn't put them off :D

12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    the "im renting" line always seems to work

13. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yep, used the 'rented' one until I had the fascia's done [by a firm I called out] and they now stop calling.

Had the Npower dude telling me I was stupid because I didn't want to switch and I simply answered well with that attitude I will never do business with you again. Had one who the missus told she wasn't interested before he said what he was selling and he got narky, leaned right into his space and told him to go forth and multiply.

14. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about npower, but you have to be careful telling british gas to bugger off... I have done 3 times and each time a few days later have received letters "That you for switching your gas and electricity to british gas". Trying to get through to them that you didn't sign up and don't want it is a work of art. (also, don't forget to call your current supplier to cancel british gas' cancellation... as I forgot to the first time this happened so we got cut off... yay.) :mad:

15. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I've got one of these 'No Callers' signs on my door, and it doesn't always work, but I still use it to have some fun. I used to send cold callers away with a flea in their ear, but my wife used to give me a hard time about being rude :rolleyes:, so now I just answer the door, smile, put my hand up in a 'Stop' gesture, and point to the sign, without actually saying a word.

They usually babble on for a bit, but I just keep repeating the process, without speaking, just smiling & pointing, it seems to wind them all up nicely. :D

16. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    If you have the time by far the best response is to answer to door keep an expressionless 'poker face' and say nothing at all even when they ask you direct questions and pause for you to answer. A trained salesman is looking for a way to engage you so just don't engage.
    You get a good measure of how proficient they are and how experienced.
    the flop sweat can be very funny - but don't smile until after you have closed the door.

or another stock method (works best on street 'canvassers' as they open up with "Do you mind answering a few questions") if you get a similar question from a door stepper respond with - "By all means. Information has a value nowadays and I charge ten pounds per answer. Now what is your second question ?"

17. gulliver dark

gulliver dark
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  18. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    While I applaud the intent the execution seems more than dubious.
    Under what powers/legislation can this be invoked and enforced. I suggest there is none. This is evinced by the article itself i.e.

"It is not illegal for people to cold call in the area but this scheme gives residents empowerment to say no."

They are already empowered to say no regardless !!

IMV the Police and the Council are probably acting beyond their powers and possibly outside the law. That concerns me much more than door step salesmen.

19. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    The easist way is to install a spy hole and ignore them, will never ever forget the day I invited 2 Telewest salespeople into my house, I had been in england for 2 weeks and was kinda interested in Broadband so I wondered if I could negotiate a better deal with them. As I had just moved in and my bank account had not quiet been set up at that time I found it a little amusing that they spent 25 mins advising me how I could 'illegally' get around the credit checks etc etc :D

20. Lezman

Lezman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I always enjoy this when someone steps in front of me in the street and asks:

'Can I ask you a question?'

I always reply with 'You just did'- and then stride off smugly:D

21. gulliver dark

gulliver dark
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, it might be worrying as a matter of principle but in this case I am not at all troubled that protecting the public from harrassment is being put before the commercial interests of double-glazing firms. I share your concern about comtemporary trends toward a nanny/police state but that doesn't mean this type of action is never, ever right. With blanket principles we risk throwing the baby out with the bath-water and there are cases like this when pragmatism is the way to a better world.

22. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Have to disagree. we are bound by the law, so are the police and the councils.

The difference between 'rule of law' and 'rule by law' is enormous and fundamental. It is the basis of our society. IMV you cannot allow (any more !) erosion of this.

"We are free because we live under civil laws." --- Charles de Secondat Montesquieu

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    Something else I've noticed, they're all bloody liars as they all claim to be "doing a job just round the corner" every time they knock on the door !

24. gulliver dark

gulliver dark
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Nobody opposes the nanny state more than me but in this case what is good for the public is more important than what the law might say. I can't see how the county council and the police are abusing their position when they are doing something that must have universal public support.

I know the authorities shouldn't have carte blanche to ride roughshod over the laws of the land because they think they are acting in the public interest - where would that end - but come on, this is merely about stopping door-to-door sales reps from pestering people.

We don't live in a black and white world and common sense must come into play. I don't see this as any kind of dangerous precedent, threat to democracy, or slippery slope. It's a well-meaning attempt to do something for the public good, so let's not knock the authorities when they do something right, for once :)

25. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yeah and when you say "oh where, I'll check out your work" they tend to mumble alot and bugger off ...

26. gulliver dark

gulliver dark
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tsk. Cynics :rolleyes:

:laugh:

27. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Have nothing to do with them John

just tell tell them if you wanted it doing you would have rang a "proper company"

the two clues to see if they are pikeys are

1 ...shiny shoes

2..magnetic signs on the van

28. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    and

3. Dags

4. Caravans with periwinkle blue curtains

The magnetic signs are available from a bloke I know in Burton upon Trent...

We once had a kitchen salesman try to sell us gold and a big telly once because we were 'such a nice couple'. When we were looking for some new windows we had a couple of jokers round but we settled on a well established brand; the salesman couldn't believe it when we said 'don't give us the speel just give us the windows'! He then pointed out some cracks on the interior of the upvc front door and explained that the actual door fascia was just sandwiched in the outer frame and that the cracks were the result of an attempted forced entry. The person trying to gain access runs at the door and if the door hasn't any interior bars (ours didn't) after a couple goes the panel pops in and entry is gained - I only wish I had caught them in the act. The salesman didn't try to sell a replacement, he just recommended that we call the insurance people! (although he had already made £1100 from us).

29. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I got fed up with it all, had double glazing fitted, new facias (soffets & barge boards) & guttering, new conservatory, all the front made into hard standing, condensing boiler & assoicated bits - now the mrs thinks its time to move :rolleyes:

30. pave

pave
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Had a facia board guy come round a few weeks ago,said ,"I had just had them done,cost a fortune as I got them aged to look in keep with the age of the building.........If only you had come 3 weeks ago."......:(