1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upstairs Downstairs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by orangemirrors, Nov 22, 2003.

1. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is another one of those annoying what do I need threads.I keep reading through threads on here and I go from thinking I know what I need to being unsure to being clueless so your help would be great to sort this out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am after 2 machines:-

Machine 1 - to be used downstairs as a vcr recorder I want all the flexibility eg not write once but I want better quality than vhs otherwise there's no point. I like the sound of editing on the panasonic's and I believe ram is better quality but I may be wrong.

I have no use use to play pre recorded dvd's as I have and intend to keep my standalone player for this and it does not have to play cd's,cdr's,cdrw's,vcd's,svcd's or anything else other than what it is recording on.

Machine 2 - upstairs to be used mainly as a player of disks recorded on machine 1 the ability to record would be a benefit as it will save money in the long run.

So the question is do I get 2 of the same machines if this is easier and then if so what do you recomend. I am after quality in machine 1 particullaly and not just the easiest thing to use which is not up to the job and that may mean I have to spend more on machine 2 so it is compatible.

As I mentioned the panny's sound good to me (but what do I know) and seem to be a good price but I think I read on here that one of them (E50 I think) is due to be replaced in jan, I will probably wait till offers in jan to buy if that makes a difference.

Am I write in thinking that in rewritable terms the best to worse in quality is ram , -RW and then +RW?

I hope this all makes sense and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    A Panasonic E50 DVD Recorder and Panasonic S75 (or S35 if you want to save a few pounds for less features) would an excellent combination. You would then have all the flexibility of RAM (Timeslip, editting etc) and be able to play your recordings upstairs on the S75/35.

The E50 is likely to be replaced around March/April. It's unlikely to have any major new features and just be a slight re-working (like the E50 was of the E30) so IMHO there is no harm in buying now.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's may be worth noting that none of the dvd players take caddied RAM, yet the durability of RAM caddies is one of its big advantages in my opinion. (You can remove the disc from some caddies, but that defeats the purpose). Bearing this in mind, you might prefer 2 E50 machines. www.lynxdv.co.uk sell cheap 9.7GB caddied RAM that works perfectly with the panny recorders.

4. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imho,
    hs2 downstairs, e50 up.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With the Panny's probably dropping in price in the new year I would go for two recorders. RAM compatible players don't have seamless playback otherwise they are fine.

Having two tuners is always a happy bonus. Two machines is my set up and I have no regrets other than if the H2 type machines were cheaper when I was purchasing I would have gone for an H2 and an E30.

If your budget would stretch that far then you will have a dream come true until the next phase which will be high capacity DVD recorders. (blu-ray). happy shopping........

6. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply's guys, I started off thinking about a recoreder and a player and as the posts were coming in I was leaning towards 2 recorders and now i want 1 hs2 and a E50 I should have realised what was going to happen.

I just hope they have some good sales in jan as i will have to wait till then, in the mean time thanks for all your help and advice.

By the way I meant to ask about the seamless playback as in what is it and how come ram recorders dont have it and so is it a problem.

Cheers again.

7. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a disk query aswell,

with double sided ram disks do you have to remove the disk from the caddy and turn it over or do you turn the caddy over and never have to remove the disk from the caddy?

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You turn the caddy over. Kinda like a vinyl LP, remember them? :p