Upsetting the neighbours with your sub

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by m4ccam, Feb 27, 2013.

1. m4ccam

m4ccam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Does anyone have any amusing stories.

2. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    In my old house i had my neighbours 3 down complain and that house was built well.

Now my house i live in the walls are a brick and 2 thickness of plasterboard thick and my neighbour sticks letters through my door and her son comes swearing at me.
    I just play it loud when there not in, and if there in Im very good and they still moan and that's on like -40. The thing is they lived in the house for a long time next to an old lady who was hardly ever in due to sickness.
    I got a friend whos a cop and he comes round a fair bit one night her son comes banging on the door and swearing at me and my mate comes and says sorry sir but your language is out of order and that the sound was very acceptable for the time of day and was not excessive , the son went away unhappy but still comes moaning some people just are not happy,
    I know they gotta enjoy there property but then so do i.
    There not perfect with her son fighting with his mates on front lawn gone midnight.
    The thing is houses are being built so cheap.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Fighting on the lawn after an evening of drinking? Nice neighbours... lol

As long as we are not playing banging house music 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, and actually let others have 'quiet enjoyment' time, I would hope that others are tolerant :)

So far no complaints here (*crosses fingers*) but my flat is concrete block construction, concrete skim on the floor, with double glazing and loads of loft insulation, so I'm hopeful I won't get any moaning...

That may change if I build something massive with strong 10Hz capability :laugh:

Only comment so far is from the post lady, saying it was reverberating round the stairwell :D (neighbours were all at work hence it was turned up ;))

4. k17chy

k17chy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    i havent had the " knock " yet ;) but i`m sure its coming :laugh:

5. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Yeah mate drink related and one of the mates offered the son mum some coke and not the drink ended up in a broken noise and i police being called and there still best mates.

Also when i moved in her daughter lived there to with her partner and he was into kareoke and i could here that gone 12 at night but it didn't bother me as Im not perfect and it didn't wake my 4 kids as does my stuff.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I never even bothered with a sub in my previous house (a paper thin walled 1970s semi). Even my (then) modest floorstanding speakers would get the neighbour knocking not even late at night, so even 6pm listening had to be curtailed.

These days I live in a detached housewith good double glazing so even near reference ;) listening can't be heard outside (I've checked) only the bass can be felt through the front porch supports. :D I'll have to see if this changes if I upgrade the Monolith for a 15/18" Gecko sub later this year. :smashin:

7. echosat

echosat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Snap

8. Kevstir

Kevstir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Our neighbour downstairs says she never here's us, we here her so ether she's a tone deaf 24 year old or just being nice, saying that we do send a wee text to say a movies going on and if its to loud to let us know, never had a text yet lol, I do like it loud too lol

9. M87NER

M87NER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When i used to live at me dads i had my 18" audiobahn and 15" JL, semi datached - my neighbour never mentioned anything.. and this 18" used to flap my front door from upstairs. but she was a very strange woman,

now in my new house i just have the 15" JL - i dont really have it on all the time as my 10.4's produce good enough bass - but when i do its on 1/4 on the gain and -1 on the recevier and thats ample for me - and never heard anything yet

when they go out thats a differnt story - gain on 3/4's listening to music.... enough to vibrate my model cars upstairs of there shelf.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    The only time you should worry is if the next door neighbor comes knocking with expensive/beloved ornament in hand that has dropped of the wall/shelf and smashed to smithereens due to your overpowering bass and wants some compo.:laugh:

11. DrH

DrH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    My neighbour has a supercharged V8 mustang convertible with side exit exhausts which I can feel through my house when it starts up.:thumbsup:

Detached house so no worries

DrH

12. Wilseus

Wilseus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I live in a 1930s terraced house and I have never had any complaints from either side. Not only that, but I have brought up the subject with them and both say they have never heard anything!
    I often watch movies at -30 and sometimes at -20, although that should only be a rough guide to the loudness since I have made no attempt to calibrate the overall sound level.

13. S7M0N

S7M0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Recently I was washing the car and had the living room window open so the music could flow out on to the drive :devil:

Neighbour across the road came over and asked me to turn it down... :nono:

TBH I didn't think it was that loud :eek:

To be fair... we do call him Ned Flanders :smashin:

14. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    Quite lucky, at the moment we're in a semi-detached (in that there's a narrow path between us and the next neighbour, and the living room is on that side, with a solid wall and then the hallway on the other side, and then the neighbour. Even when I get a bit excited (-10 or so) and you can hear something just outside the bay window, the neighbours say they've never heard anything. Bonus!

I'm slightly worried about moving anywhere to be honest, especially in a new build - all but one that I've seen are badly built and have very little soundproofing.

15. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I'm really lucky, no one directly attached to me, nearest neighbors are my parents and an old guy who is nearly deaf, I did ask him if he heard anything, he told me to turn it up louder! :D

16. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,398
    I was very considerate in our last house when my neighbour used to come in at all hours and start singing maggie may at the top of his voice, this went on for about 4 years, he came round once to tell me he`d heard our dog barking.........

so I told him i`ll learn it the words to maggie may and see if he liked that better :D

my new neighbours in the underground hotel next door are wonderfully quiet and that allows me not to be

the best neighbours i`ve ever had :smashin:

17. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    So did you dog learn the words to Maggie may then.:-D

18. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,398
    I dunno, I never asked our neighbour :D

mind you he`s in the underground hotel as well now bless him, what a lovely dog he was too

he could sing, well howl lol, he learned how to open the back garden door into the house to let himself in, so I learnt him how to go back and close it.

he used to take the kids socks of the radiator and hide them behind the trees up the garden

an english springer, the best dog I ever had

he might have been a better singer though if he`d been a welsh springer :rotfl:

19. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I'm very lucky in terms of playing what i want as loud as i want with no comeback from the neighbours:devil:....................bring on the 15"s

20. m4ccam

m4ccam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    :laugh: We have a Doberman that pinches all my wife and daughters footwear. That always ends up in the garden. Funny when it,s been raining

21. mcclane22

mcclane22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    We had new neighbours move in just over a month ago. My cinema room is unfortunately attached to next doors bedroom however after meeting them (just the wife/mother so far) she said she hasn't heard a thing. Result :smashin:

She even told me to turn it up if I like and then said, what sort of neighbours would we be if we can't enjoy the things we like.

So far everything is all good and I hope it stays that way unless I end up with a single 15 USC sub or a JL Audio sub :devil:

22. jasonf01

jasonf01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Not had any problems with subwoofers but I had a pair of Royd Minstrel loudspeakers, theyre diminutive little floorstanders but with a deceptively deep bass...when theyre working.

A common problem with the minstrels was that the heavily doped woofer on them tended to gum up onto the centre magnet if you didnt use them often enough, and the solution was to play them for a few hours with lots of low frequencies. So I did it overnight, running the sound check cd on a loop of bandpass pick noise at 32Hz. You could see and feel them as well as hear them, so I pointed them towards each other and reversed polarity of one to try and get them to cancel out while they ran overnight.

Still got a note through the door.

Jas.

23. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I'm a considerate chappy, so usually over-compensate in case I disturb anyone. But back when I was about 16, I'd just got a pair of MS floorstanders and my folks and neighbours were out. I decided to see what the speakers were capable of for a quick blast, but it was so good I left it playing for a bit. It seems I had them up loud enough that I never heard my folks come back in, storm up the stairs then charge into my room. They were shouting and waving their arms like mentalists to try and get me to turn it down.

It didn't really help their mood that I couldn't move for laughing at the fact I couldn't hear a word they were shouting from about 8ft away. I'm pretty sure most of those words started with 'F' though. They were slightly displeased.

24. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I used to leave in a semi detached shared with right moaning old timers on the other side, after a while they by passed me and as they knew the landlord (she used to live there before me) would moan straight to her. Lucky for me she knew what they were like so wasn't that fussed.

I can remember getting back from a 6 week holiday and thought I'd treat myself to an afternoon viewing of Watchmen nice and loud. Before 20 mins were up I had a knock on the window, i just smiled and waved.

If it was after midnight then fair enough but in the day, anything goes.

25. rampant

rampant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    my next door neighbour can 'feel' my sub whilst in bed - he's 20odd feet away from me. I tell him to feel the groove baby!

26. bumpymark

bumpymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    my downstairs neighbour banged on ceiling one sunday afternoon while i was watching drive angry so i went and asked him to see how loud it was in his flat-you couldnt hear it! he said is it fast and furious i said no its drive angry and it wasnt loud, he said well ive got young hearing........:eek:

27. kevykat

kevykat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,746
    Doesn't you're car have a stereo?

28. kevykat

kevykat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,746
    A few pricks in this thread.
    Really happy for you people that feel it's fine to blast out movies and music how you feel. You don't have an effing clue do you?
    So maybe you think you're AV Equipment ain't loud. That makes thing's all the better does it?
    Here's a summary of my experience. I've put up with my neighbours music for over 3 years. Ye some days it may not be at it's loudest but as long as you can hear it can make you ill. Due to the stress of not being able to live in piece we are both on medication for stress/depression, loss our first child in the early stages of pregnancy and even moved out to live with my parents for 6 months last year. And even when neighbours like myself put up with crap like this the authorities are often useless in helping us out.
    So next time instead of being a prick remember just because you want to listen to music, the rest of the street doesn't have to as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  29. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,694
    Washing the car and having it's windows open to listen to the music don't mix :laugh:

30. kevykat

kevykat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,746
    True, I've never had a problem hearing my car stereo through my closed windows. But not so loud that I'm an inconsiderate prick :laugh: