1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upset with Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gliese 581c, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Was on the phone to them today as I fancied getting thee Sky+ multiroom deal they have running. To existing customers, sky+ is £149 + £10pm for the multiroom. bit steep, so while browsing I noticed that new customers get sky+ for £99 + £10pm for the multiroom.

I was having none of that, so straight on the phone to them for an ear bashing, never gave the poor guy a chance on the phone but I asked him to explain why existing customers were paying £50 extra for their sky+ box. He replied, 'because thats a deal to attract more new customers' - what about keeping your old ones, he said but the deal is to attract new customers. Fine I said, but why am I paying £50 more for a box when you obviously think its only worth £99... 'Its a deal for new customers he kept saying' - I then said, ok, I'll cancel my contract and wait a month and then fit sky+ for £99 - he then said 'sorry, but you wouldnt be a new customer, you would be a re-connecting existing customer' - I wasnt too happy at that point, I then said 'ok, my misses hasnt had sky before, I'll cancel mine then create a new account under her name' - cant do that either sir, 'it goes by household' -- I was extremely angry and said, look mate, youve got us shafted from all angles, the guy laughed.... what could I do ? , I'm going to be calling them back tonight to try again, but this is a joke. why are Sky such [expletive deleted by admin :nono:] to their existing customers. ?

sorry, just had to vent some frustration. any idea's ? I'm close to cancelling my contract. :mad:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Its the same when you try and up grade a hand set for a mobile phone net work, They are giving certain phones awya to new customers, but you have to pay iif you are an existing one!
    What ever happened to customer service and keeping your customers happy?

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Have a read over at Digital Spy. Some people have got them to agree to £99 for existing peeps.

Mike.

4. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    thats good to know flimber, I might use that in my next call to them, i may try a friendlier approach next time.

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Arcam, it is definitely advisable to use a friendly approach. It's human nature to help those that help you. Aggression (and i'm not accusing you of that) will often encourage the sales advisor (with any company) to do their level best NOT to be of service!

However, the situation that you find yourself in is quite ridiculous and, although you & I can see the need for Sky to attract new customers there really should be a means for people like yourself to upgrade with the same offer. After all, they are going to make more money from you!
    This is all too common a problem with many companies although we are beginning to see a change with financial institutions now recognising that they need to keep exisiting customers in the loop when it comes to special mortgage offers etc.
    Sadly, SKY don't really have any direct competition in the UK but it really is no excuse to fob you off like that.
    I hope your second attempt is more fruitful :thumbsup:

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    Two things to remember.

One is whenever you speak to someone from a call centre. Always keep calm, never be rude, always be polite. The person on the other end will not even try and be reasonable and helpful if you just moan at them.

Secondly, regarding Sky 'Customer Service', if you can call it that, it is advisable to phone several times, from reading on this forum and other places on the net it seems you get widely different responses from their staff, so phoning several times could get the answer you are after.

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Regarding the Digital Spy comment, it seems Sky are now not giving in that easily to existing customers - maybe a few months ago but apparently they are a bit more resolute on not caving in.

Also, when you originally signed with Sky did you get an offer on the kit and installation? If you did then you could argue you have received a subsidy already, if not and you paid outright for your Digibox and installation then you could say to them that you have never got any subsidy and how about now.

As for cancelling and re-signing up, you're not doing yourself any favours by telling them this is what you'll do as you are being dodgy and contravening the T&C's (which you signed). Best cancel the sub, wait for it to end, hang on for an additional week and then sign up using a different, but genuine, surname and bank details, viola, as far as the operator is concerned someone new has moved into the property.

Also, bear in mind current offers expire at the end of January, so a new set will soon be available, as April approaches it's the end of the financial year and they might have targets to meet and with the cable operators making noises about their PVR's more competition.

Incidentally, if you acted like you describe in the original posting and I was at the other end of the phone I would definitely go out of my way to be un-helpful. Remember these are people and could do without the abuse, how do you react to someone getting the arse with you? They are doing jobs for a big company and they are acting within the instructions of Sky PLC, that's who you are annoyed with. A little more respect will generally yield a better result.

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I think sky are well within their right to charge as little as they like for new customers. £99 for that set up is a bargain, and I'm sure a loss maker even if you're subscribed to the works for 12 months. It's a gamble on their part to try and secure another subscriber - why would they bother giving you such a fantastic deal and lose money if you're already a subscriber?

I don't think it's fair to criticise them of treating you badly just because they are offering a good deal to someone else... Capitalism rules!!!!!!!

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Indeed:)
    THe £99 deal is subsidised by the new subscribers 12 month contract (hopefully longer is SKYs view), existing users who want the price already pay a subscription and SKY would therefore gain nothing by selling hardware below cost.

Having said that SKY could certainly do a lot more to help out existing customers who are interested in replacing/upgrading "ageing" hardware.

10. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I'll call them in work tomorrow, I will be nice and friendly, and i'll be polite. If they still dont budge, I'll cancel for 1 month, the money I then save is basically the difference from the existing and new subscriber deal. Either way, I'll win and I'll let them know that, I aint bothered at all, infact a few weeks without sky might be what the doctor ordered, it'll give me a chance to watch more dvd's.

11. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi arCAM

I have previously had the same situation. I cancelled my contract with one months notice and just got my wife to call back to order SKY + on a new contract. They agreed with no problems and it was installed.

One important thing I will say is that I have now had SKY+ 13 months and within that time have had 3 Pace version 2 boxes that all developed faults. I currently have the Amstrad Sky+ box which was brand new 3 months ago which too has developed faults.

With this in mind we are close to cancelling SKY all together and just watch Freeview through our Panasonic Viera's built in DVB tuner.

One thing I would like advice on is how to actually have the set up where I can buy a HDD recorder that can record the DVB signal.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

:smashin:

12. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    there was a big thread just before x-mas about sky+ for £99.Which some got and i phoned up to try them and ending up biting the bullet and cancelling....though never looked back.......yet...

13. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: - I spent 56 minutes onto SKY last night, trying to negotiate some discount for sky +, but to no avail. I have now ended up cancelling my contract. I have been a customer of sky digital since early 1999, being polite I asked them what do they do to keep their existing customers, their reply - you have already had your discount when you purchased your original box!!!! In fact sir, the deal you received then was much better than the new customers are getting now - bull****. Then the usual lecture on new customers - Apparently it's the household that has the contract, not the person! So if someone new moves in, new household.

Told I could have sky+ for £99 if I took out the multiroom subs at £10 per month. That equates to £220 obver 12 months. Only a £30 saving on what I would normaly get if I just signed up.

I asked for free installation and a box for £199 - they said no

I asked for free movies for 6 - 12 months - they said no

I do not have a need for multiroom, there are only 2 of us in the house. With the use of the magic eye we do not it. I wanted £60 discount or the equivalent of, that's all!

Rant over.....

They are doing nothing to keep me as a customer, I was very polite throughout the conversation - all 56 minutes. In the end I cancelled.

Not happy, but I'm sure I'll get over it.... albeit without sky!

14. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I appreciate this is frustrating guys, but like people have already said, they've been doing this in the mobile phone markey forever. In the T & C's for your existing sky contract it talks about further orders/subscription changes. It clearly states here that:

Orders are accepted at Our sole discretion and We maintain the right to decline orders without giving an explanation.

That just about covers it.

15. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I know everyone gets exasperated at the way existing customers are treated by Sky but to be fair they are actually only practising what many other companies do (mobile phones, internet wine sales, on-line shops such as John Lewis etc.). Also, if you have received subsidised kit in the past, which the majority of Sky customers have, then it is a bit rich wanting it again.

I'm not a big fan of the Sky+ sales/pricing model but they do change the available promotions fairly regularly - just wait for a more advantageous one. Also, you're not forced to subscribe to Sky - if you don't like the deal or think it's to pricey then exercise your power of choice by cancelling or sticking with the standard Digibox. In life we all have "luxuries" we'd like but cannot afford/justify - this is just an example of this.

16. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frankly - I think you are beating yourselves up over this. Say Sky did away with the new Customer discount. Would you then complain because you had been paying Sky for months and these other people had no right to be allowed to buy it for the same price as you? It's nuts. I know that this is a debate that goes on in every PVR Forum there is - but....that's what it costs - if you want it and can afford it, then buy it - if you think it's too expensive - then don't.

There is one other weird side effect to this. Bearing in mind the huge number of people trying to get Sky+ at a cheaper price - how much time is Sky wasting in it's Callcentres? I know they have loads of operarators - but it must be adding up. There is one poster on this thread who says he spent nearly an hour trying to wangle a discount.

Roger

17. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Yeah but if you don't like the deal (or lack of one) that your phone company is offering, you have the option of moving to a different network to get the deal you want.....whereas Sky have a bit of a monopoly and they know it!

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Might I mention that Freeview boxes are dirt cheap now!

Next time you phone mention that you will buy Freeview boxes instead then!

BTW for 150 you can get a PVR box

19. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only spent an hour because they kept putting me on hold, transfering me to dirfferent sections and implying they would come back with a deal.......

If I want to purchase an item, I will shop around for the best price, or ask for some type of discount, that's all I asked of sky.......but hey, they have the monopoly and the consumer is left feeling miffed when the offer is multiroom or nothing! Granted the multiroom might appeal to some, but in this instance not me.

Why are sky are not following some of the major credit card companies....Some are now scrapping deals (0%) to new customers, and rewarding their existing ones with offers......Now thats customer loyalty...
    :)

20. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that sky owe us all some kind of deal because we've been subscribers for a while. We pay them money to provide a load of television. They provide it, we watch it. Sky have the best multichannel system and they know it - why should they cut their profits to be nice?

21. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been onto Sky to cancell. They asked why?

I said because I am now on my 4th Sky + box which is now developing faults.

The lady was concerned and asked if she could put me through to a tech support chap. I agreed, he checked various points with no fault identified.

I then was passed back to the original same lady in the sales dept. I agreed to wait for the next software download which is due in the next few weeks which should rectify the fault. She offered me the Movie world package at half price for two months. Also if the software doesn't rectify the fault she has offered me a free service call to replace the box for a brand new one. My current box is 2 months out of warrenty.

I must say that I finished the call quite happy and am hoping my falty box gets sorted soon.

If not I will cancel!!!

:beer:

22. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    you havent read the full thread then boy lex, no-ones asking them to cut their profits, but what I expect is that if the same company is selling a box then it shoud be sold for 1 price, certainly NOT 2 different prices, and certainly not to someone who gets a cheaper box that hasnt paid a penny to sky where I have had the full package for years, and I pay £50 more ? sorry, but in my book thats backward. f :censored: g b :censored: tards

23. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well actually.........

:)

If they sell you a subsidised SKY+ then the difference between the price you pay and the price SKY paid has to be made up from your subscriptions, you are already paying a subscription so in effect they lose money.
    If they sell a subsidised SKY+ to a NEW customer then they have aquired a new revenue source and when the subsidy has been paid off that customer is then producing profit for SKY.
    Of course the formula is more complex since it can include install costs based on channel package, downgrades during the min term and packages which include the free SKY+ service.

We can argue about exactly how much SKY pay wholesale for SKY+ and what relation that has to the retail price for new and existing customers but the basis of the new customer discount is established:)

24. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    not if i cancel my contract they wont be making money :smashin:

25. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    it doesnt even have to have a full cancellation.....it would only need, 'ok, put me to your basic package' recouperate the £50 extra I would be paying for the box, 'I'll take the full package now thanks' job done, you get the box for £99, you feel good cause you aint filled sky's fat pockets any more than you need to and you also feel very good that you havent gave in to their, quite frankly, stupid rates for existing customers.

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Indeed, the consumer does have the ultimate response should he/she be dissatisfied.

27. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Arcam

Have you ever received subsidised kit - as in when you first had Sky did you get free installation or/and free receiver? If so you've had your subsidy so move over and let someone else have theirs.

By all means cancel your subscription, it's your choice - but will you? So many people spit and swear and threaten to cancel but it's all just words. If you're paying £50 a month you obviously like your multi-channel TV - are you really going to spite your own nose for the sake of a few quid.

Sky+ is a "luxury", if that extra cash is so important to you don't get it - it really is that simple. Life is to short - we can all ask and try and negotiate but if you're hitting a wall with Sky look for alternative ways of getting Sky+. Is it really worth all this hyperbole?

28. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course I've read the full thread! As if I have anything better to do than hang around on these forums all day! :p

I understand that you're p~~sd off because you want to get the £99 deal, but look at it from sky's point of view... You are a subscriber: they are making money from you on a monthly basis. They want more subscribers: they are enticing them by giving away kit at a highly subsidised price. It's a simple marketing strategy to win them new subscribers.

If you feel hard done by then as starburst concurrs, by all means cancel your contract.

By the way, do you kick up a fuss to the bus driver when an old age pensioner gets on the bus with a discounted bus pass?

29. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we are missing the main point here.

The new customers are getting something the existing customers aren't getting. Sky can't give it to the existing customers because the money comes from a Marketing budget specifically designed to capture new customers.

The logic is simple. If the existing customers can't have it - then the new customers shouldn't have it. In fact they should be denied it. All customers should pay the same price.

Of course over time the growth of new customers will slow, they don't understand what Sky+ is and have no experience of Sky either so will be less likely to deal with a front end charge - and because the level of new money coming in is reducing and the number of new customers is slowing then Sky will only be able to fund innovation and new products by charging the existing, shrinking, customer base more.

But hey! Thats socialism folks!

25% of all new Sky+ installations are from brand new Customers to Sky. At the end of the day - the more us there are the more value for money we will all get.

(Oh dear - have I been a bit obvious there...)

Roger

30. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Of course not boylex, but that is not really the same now is it. bus companies are not trying to attract grannies to get on their bus by giving them low fares. hehe

nathan, my box was free, but I can assure you, sky are not giving me a free receiver, the price of sky giving 'free' receivers to customers is averagely added into the full monthly packagea and spread out. nothing is free in this world and certainly not from sky.