Upscalling DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roscoe2000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ok...these are very much beginner questions...so go easy!

I have my new HD TV and I'm now after a upscaling DVD player!

I actually want an upscaling DVD recorder....is there such a thing?

I'm not talking about a DVD with a hard drive I mean so I record from SKY+ onto DVD's so they can be watched elsewhere.

I have looked at the Pioneer DV-400V-K which has a USB port but from what I can make out that is just for playing files from rather than saving to....is that correct?

Any help would be useful!

2. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I presume from the lack of replies either: -
    1/ It was a daft question because there i no such thing or
    2/ There is another thread discussing this that I had missed or
    3/ No one knows the answer

Could anyone confirm which?

3. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think there's no replies as it's not quite clear what your looking for.

I think you're looking for a DVD recorder, but one that can also upscales on DVD playback, but you don't want a built in hard disc?

I would have suggested the Panasonic EX-77 which is a DVD recorder and upscaler for playback, but it does also have a hard disk.

(The hard disk does make it a lot easier to record stuff to DVD as you can edit the video, and burn the disc out in high speed mode.)

Like most decent records the EX77 can also record an RGB signal, so if you feed it an RGB signal from the Sky TV Scart socket you get a good quality recording.

4. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    >> I think you're looking for a DVD recorder, but one that can also upscales on
    >> DVD playback, but you don't want a built in hard disc?

Your post helped because I've started to inderstand what I do actually want i.e.
    A DVD that upscalles on playback
    and has a HDD but which I can record onto a DVD (because it's quicker to do it this way like you mentioned)

But I don't need a digital one because I use SKY+ so I would prefer if the cost was quite a bit less i.e. £180??

5. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I know you've said you're looking to spend £180 ish, however with DVD Recorders it really is a case of you get what you pay for...

You can get the multi-region EX77 for £237.98 with vat & delivery included from : http://www.121electricals.com/detail.asp/sku=DMREX77EB-K

The Panasonic really does tick all the boxes.

6. pscolling

pscolling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the Panasonic EZ-27.. As far as I can make out, its the same as the 77, less the HDD!

Paul

7. roscoe2000

roscoe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for the comment....to be honest I'm coming to the conclusion I'll stick with what I've got for the time being because everytime I start reading up on one I come across people who have had problems.

It's quite simple what I'm after really....a DVD that upscales (doesn't have to be 1080p because my Sharp 32inch LCD only does 1080i) and also a record element to it so I can copy from my Sky + to a writable DVD.

It seemed simple to me....until I started reading up on the available options and the actual prices....to be honest when I started looking I was expecting to pay less than £100.......I will wait a while to see how things progress.