1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling to use component?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tallpaul13, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tallpaul13

tallpaul13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Viera has one component input. I currently have my DVD set to this.

I am looking into getting one of the Denon Recievers which I was hoping to connect directly to the component connection on the veira.

Would the existing DVD picture quality be maintained - it is just passing thru the receiver?.

Would sky conected via s-video be upscaled to component. and would this be better than sky connected via scart (RGB)?.

Also, would the PS2 connect be upscaled aswell or would it be better via s-video/scart direct to viera?

Thanks.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have my Denon 2900, cable box and xbox routed via a denon amp (see sig).

DVD and xbox look great. The DVD is component to component and the xbox is s-video to comp.
    However, the cable/sat box is composite only. Whilst it does a very good job of upconverting composite to component, there is a little noise and some occasional moiring (sp) on the picture. All told, its very watchable though.

The denon amp tells you that the higher the quality you input, the higher the quality comes out. I am going to look for an RGB to component converter shortly.

Hope this helps. Note that the Denon amp have more than enough video bandwidth to send a good clean component signal so yes, go for it.

Captain Benefit :)

3. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, 100Mhz switching on the 2805

Yes & No

Yes

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The PS2 can out put via component if you buy replacement cables anyway - and certain games can also output via component as progressive scan so you can connect it directly to one of the component in's on the avr-2805

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Depending on your Sky STB you will be unable to connect it via S-Video as it does not have an S-Video output. Only Sky+ and I think some of the newest Sky STBs have an S-Video output so you will need to check.
    S-Video is generally not as good as RGB, but to many people the difference is small, if even noticeable at all. You will need to try it and see if it is good enough for you.

If you do want to do all video switching via the receiver then my suggestion would be to get an RGB to YUV Component converter for Sky as this will give the best PQ. In the past I have used and am happy to recommend the converters from www.js-technology.com

Mark.