1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling to use component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by tallpaul13, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tallpaul13

tallpaul13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Viera has one component input. I currently have my DVD set to this.

I am looking into getting one of the Denon Recievers which I was hoping to connect directly to the component connection on the veira.

Would the existing DVD picture quality be maintained - it is just passing thru the receiver?.

Would sky conected via s-video be upscaled to component. and would this be better than sky connected via scart (RGB)?.

Also, would the PS2 connect be upscaled aswell or would it be better via s-video/scart direct to viera?

Thanks.

2. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Purists will say adding anything to the signal path will degrade the signal. In reality, you probably won't notice any difference.

Sky question more difficult to answer. Denon receiver will simply convert the signal to component, not "upscale" or "improve" it. It's more of a convenience thing, to have one single connection. At best I would guess it will look as good as RGB (subjectively), but cetainly not better.

My experience with PS2 is that RGB is way better than anything else.

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    As Hewey says, running Sky s-video to the amp then component up will degrade your signal to s-video quality. RGB scart is the better option.

If you wanted to route through the amp and were going for something like the Denon 3805 (3 component inputs) then you could use a RGB-YUV converter to convert Skys RGB output into component. You can also run DVD component to the amp and with the third input invest in a component video lead for the PS2.

4. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Could you recommend any please Liam.
    Cheers.
    Johnny.

5. tallpaul13

tallpaul13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

that has cleared up a few things and stopped me from buying the wrongs stuff - although I have to try to persude the wife to go for the more expensive reviever.

Any suggestions for recievers (I do like the Denon & the yhave had good reviews).
    Also, as Jonny Thunder asks can you suggest RGB>>Component leads.

6. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've been lOOking at this one: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV372.html but i'm waiting for advice on whether that would give a better picture, (or estimated to be better) than a QED RGB sqart or similar.

I would've thought if a cable is converted, not a like for like (scart to scart), it wasn't as good. But then i don't have a winnie-the-pooh :confused: Waiting for a guru to straighten this out for me... Anyone opted for a scart to comp over scart to scart??

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    You keep using the phrase "upscaling" when you mean "transcoding" which means things get a little confusing.

That cable that you posted a link to will allow you to plug component from say a dvd player into a device that can accept component through the scart, or vice versa, it will not take RGB out of sky and give you component.

Best option for sky without SDI modding and scaling would be a JS RGB->VGA transcoder, scart in from sky and VGA out to display.

Component will give you the best image from the PS2 and the other consoles, as you will be able to play some games in a higher resolution, 1080i on GT4 for example. Having said that can your plasma handle Hi-Def??

Next best would be a JS RGB->Componet transcoder, scart in from sky then component out to display, you can then put this through a suitable processor or video switcher if you need to add more than one component input. Most new av receivers/processors have at least 3 component inputs.
    Or you could buy an external switcher like the Audio Authority 1154 or the Zektor HDS range if you don't need to change your amp.

Transcoding from composite or S video is only ever going to be as good as it is when it comes out of the original device, and most times on cheap equipment like the things we are talking about, it will usually be worse.

8. tallpaul13

tallpaul13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soooo.....

If I plug sky into an "Denon type" receiver with 3xcomponent inputs with a scart>>component cable, I could also plug in my PS2 & DVD. But this is not as good a picture as component>>component.

Does the component quality drop if it passes thru a reciever (I'm guessing not?).

So if I plug everything into a suitable receiver the DVD would retain its component quality, the PS2 would be able to run at its best and Sky would look as good as it does now (RGB quality).

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    You need to convert the RGB from SKY to component before you do anything.

You would need one of these. I have tried loads of others and there really is no loss in quality with this one.

This would then give you component from your SKY box, which you can then switch on a suitable amp/receiver/processor/switcher.
    The whole point is you want to run just one cable to the display and do it with no loss in quality, this is the way to do it, you are converting the RGB on your SKY to component to match the component on your DVD and your PS2 (you would obviously need to buy a PS2 component cable).

Yes you could buy an amp that transcodes composite/S-Vid to component, but, and it is a big but, the quality will be poor.
    There will be very little loss if any in using an amp to switch component using the resolutions you will be using.

Forget the scart-component cable, that is say for a component output into say a Loewe tv that has component on the scart socket, can't think of anything else that does.