Upscaling Sky TV to save ££ ?

PWRR

Novice Member
Hi everyone.

This is probably a stupid question but will my Denon X4400h upscale Sky standard definition or Sky HD to 4k? I'm asking because i'm getting fed up of paying extortionate prices for Sky and want to reduce my bill if i can. Does it work that way?? I was thinking i just get the standard definition package and let my AVR upscale it to 4k?
I have a slight feeling i'm going to get laughed at but in my amateur mind it seems plausible lol.

PWRR.

D

Deleted member 24354

Upscaling will make SD and HD images look less blocky or pixelated on larger 4k screens but it cant magically add information that wasnt there to start with, it will 'guess' what is missing, based on the pixels around it. Generally your TV will do a better job of 'upscaling' a lower definition image than your AVR

whitehart

Drop Sky - i did a few years back, best thing i ever did, I have a NVIDIA Shield pro 2019 now I do not miss Sky and their crazy prices

PWRR

Novice Member
Upscaling will make SD and HD images look less blocky or pixelated on larger 4k screens but it cant magically add information that wasnt there to start with, it will 'guess' what is missing, based on the pixels around it. Generally your TV will do a better job of 'upscaling' a lower definition image than your AVR
Hi.

Oh so it will look bad then? Or are you talking about the difference between a 4k and native 4k? Which i thought was not a lot?

PWRR

PWRR

Novice Member
Drop Sky - i did a few years back, best thing i ever did, I have a NVIDIA Shield pro 2019 now I do not miss Sky and their crazy prices
I've not heard of that. I was otherwise thinking of getting all the sky channels i want but with Virgin media for half the price. I just hate the interface of virgin and others. Sky is the best in that regard. I hate change but i hate skys prices and i think i'm near the end of using them. Been with them since the 90's! But 60-80 a month is just robbery.

PWRR

dante01

Distinguished Member
4K upscaling is the process where the player enhances the original input resolution. For the process to function the input quality must be Full HD (1920x1080). The player will upscale the original resolution from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160.

4K native content means that the input resolution is already 3840x2160 (4K).

Although both native and upscaled offer the same resolution, native 4K is better as the picture contains more detail. Using upscaling detail cannot be added.

Native 4k content is very popular, especially on streaming apps, but some of what you watch may still be lower-resolution content upscaled to UHD, which will look different from native 4k. To present lower-resolution material on a 4k TV, the TV has to perform a process called upscaling. This process increases the pixel count of a lower-resolution image, allowing a picture meant for a screen with fewer pixels to fit a screen with many more. However, it doesn't increase the detail of the image since the signal has the same amount of information. Above you can see the difference between a 1080p resolution on the 4k Hisense and on the 1080p TCL.
Overall, the two images look very similar. There isn’t any more detail in the upscaled picture than you can see in the native 1080p picture, so whether or not it looks better is entirely subjective. There are some 4k TVs that have trouble upscaling 1080p, but it's rare. This doesn't mean that 4k is inherently worse for watching 1080p content since most TVs don't have this problem, but it's important to make sure the model you're buying doesn't have any issue with this before going through with the purchase.

Last edited:

PWRR

Novice Member

gibbsy

You have a very good OLED and the Panny's upscaling is second to none. Some of Sky's 1080 productions are worse than poor and no amount of upscaling with make it look any better. Still a case of crap in crap out.

PWRR

Novice Member
You have a very good OLED and the Panny's upscaling is second to none. Some of Sky's 1080 productions are worse than poor and no amount of upscaling with make it look any better. Still a case of crap in crap out.
Thanks for that Gibbsy.

New customers can get my sky package for £37/month. Which is what i had ages ago. It's now £60 and in a few months it goes up to £80 a month. It's just insane! Think i might finally try virgin. I can't seem to find anyone else what does schedule tv though. I have Netflix, amazon, apple tv and Disney for streaming etc but they don't have schedule tv :(

Oh well thanks anyway guys.

gibbsy

Thanks for that Gibbsy.

New customers can get my sky package for £37/month. Which is what i had ages ago. It's now £60 and in a few months it goes up to £80 a month. It's just insane! Think i might finally try virgin. I can't seem to find anyone else what does schedule tv though. I have Netflix, amazon, apple tv and Disney for streaming etc but they don't have schedule tv :(

Oh well thanks anyway guys.
Get in touch with Sky when it's time for renewal and tell them you're not prepared to pay what they are asking. I'm paying the same as I did a couple of years ago for SkyQ, although it did go up a month or so ago. Had I just rolled over and let them tickle my belly I would have been paying around £40 more, I have broadband and line rental with them as well. Told them I would happily cancel the TV subscription unless they reduced it to a sensible level. Actually they offered me a deal that was above my expectations.

No way on this earth is their full subscription worth paying.

PWRR

Novice Member
Get in touch with Sky when it's time for renewal and tell them you're not prepared to pay what they are asking. I'm paying the same as I did a couple of years ago for SkyQ, although it did go up a month or so ago. Had I just rolled over and let them tickle my belly I would have been paying around £40 more, I have broadband and line rental with them as well. Told them I would happily cancel the TV subscription unless they reduced it to a sensible level. Actually they offered me a deal that was above my expectations.

No way on this earth is their full subscription worth paying.
I have done the dance with Sky before. I was paying 50 then 60 then 70 then i threatened to leave and got a deal for everything for £37. In fact i think i did leave. They rang me up a week later with a new offer. That deal ran out a year ago and it went back up to 60. Some other part of my contract is up in 2 months and they said it will go up to 80. It's unbelievable. That's more than all the main streaming services like Netflix etc combined. How do they justify it???
What annoys me the most is they don't reward loyalty! New customers get amazing cheap deals but life long customers pay more than double? It's insulting. I think you had more of a bargaining chip because you had phone and broadband with them. My broadband is with Virgin.
Oh well i will just have to do the dance with them again when the time comes.

Wish me luck lol.

PWRR

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom