1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling SD to HD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rushers, Aug 1, 2005.

1. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie needs help :lease: . I live in South Africa, we only have SD satellite channels at present and because of numbers it does not look as if the main satellite broadcaster will be able to expand bandwidth at present (1 mill users vs Sky with 8 mill users). This looks like it may only happen b4 the 2010 world cup. Many microdisplay TVs are available which are great for the DVD users, but I watch mainly sport and satellite channels. Is it possible to upscale the incoming SD signal from satellite to 720p or 1080i so as to :lease: get the full value from one of these very expensive displays? If so how? I know that some hd DVD players have onboard scalers and one can buy seperate upscaling boxes, but I thought that this was only for upscaling dvds.
    Tony

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A standalone scaler will accept many sources via component, s-video, DVI/HDMI and do all sorts of tricks before sending the results to the display.

The Video processor forum here is a good place to start.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You could always use a pc to scale.

4. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep in mind that scaling a signal to a hd resolution will not make it look like a hd broadcast - it will look like a dvd does if you play it on your pc set to a high resolution.

5. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, your input already helpful. :thumbsup:
    Gareth, I have not seen any HD broadcasts - How much better does it get than current DVD standards because compared to our poor SD input, DVDs on these displays look awesome to me.

Does the resolution/PQ improve as compared to SD or does the scaler just "fill" the display better?

I see some of the dvd players have internal scalers, can one input the SD satellite feed via the dvd player and onto the display with upscaling via the dvd?