• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaling SD Source For PC Capture & Recording ?

Free To Air

Established Member
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me of the best method to to do the following?

I wish to capture a satellite SD signal and record it in HD in a PC. In the PC I have a Blackmagic Extreme HD video capture card with both HDMI and SDI inputs and propose to use Wirecast to record the captured signal.

My thoughts were to pass the signal from the satellite receiver to a scaler where I hope it can be upscaled to 720p or preferably 1080p. Then, pass the output from the scaler to the input port on the Blackmagic capture card.

Is this the best way to do this or is there a better method to get an HD signal into the PC for recording by Wirecast? I have all of the kit except for a scaler so if the method I have outlined seems OK I would appreciate a recommendation for a scaler suitable for the task.

I can output the satellite signal from a choice of ports on the satellite receiver such as composite RCA, component RCA, scart or HDMI.

Rgds

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
You would be better off capturing the SD as transparently as possible and then upscaling it on playback in realtime.

Free To Air

Established Member
You would be better off capturing the SD as transparently as possible and then upscaling it on playback in realtime.

Mr.D,

Thank you for your reply, however, I do not wish to capture in SD and upscale for playback, I wish to record it in either 720p or 1080p in realtime.

Rgds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom