upscaling question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steeevo1, Feb 2, 2009.

1. steeevo1

steeevo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hello there, i have a new sony str2400es amp that upscales through hdmi, i also have a tosh ep35 hd dvd player that upscales and the ps3 that upscales, my problem is i have tried sd dvd,s in all of the players and the picture doesnt look any differant when its supposed to be upscaled, am i missing something here...would appreciate if any one can clarify whats supposed to happen when a source is upscaled
    regards....steve.......:smashin:

2. Houldey

Houldey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly, your HDTV will have a scaler, so if you mean 'using a scaler other than my HDTV's the DVD looks no better than when using the HDTV's scaler', then that just means that the HDTV's scaler is no worse than the others.

If you mean, 'scaling the DVD makes it look no better than the same DVD on an SDTV, then I'm not sure it should. As far as i'm concerned, upscaling SD for an HDTV is just an attempt to make it look no worse than the same DVD on an SD display. The scaler interpolates/guesses the colour of the extra pixels on the display (i.e. the display has more pixels than the source res.). Of course, say the SD source doesn't show that there is a small crack in a table, and a HD source would, upscaling the SD to HD will not show the crack. No information can be gained, and the chance of the upscaler guessing that a crack exists is 0.

This is probably a bad explanation, but ho hum. I wouldn't worry if you don't notice a difference.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,309
    Yes.

It fits the lower resolution of the source to the greater resolution of the screen on which it's displayed. So, for example, if you start out with a 720x576 standard definition (PAL) DVD and you watch it on a (say) 1920x1080 pixel screen, the business of making those 720x576 source pixels into 1920x1080 screen pixels is scaling.

If you didn't scale it then the picture would occupy 720x576 pixels somewhere on the screen (most probably in the middle) and the rest would be blank. So, in fact, it's not something you can properly do without.

And as you've already seen, it can be done in the TV or outside. And the standard to which this happens is unlikely to vary much depending on where it's done.

I suppose though that it's worth saying - scaling does not add detail or definition. It cannot create what is not there in the first place. It can (and typically does) make a creditable guess by interpolation. Sometimes this can subjectively (but not in reality) add detail.