• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaling question

Cow Puncher

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered.

I work colleague has recently purchased a new 40" Bravia and got a DVD player/recorder thrown in with the deal.

He says that he was told that the player can upscale to 1080i although i thought that upscalers only went up to 480i. This is something i've not heard of but my knowledge of upscale dvd players isn't that large and i'd like to tell him he's wrong.

So can anyone tell me whether this is possible?

Thanks,

Smaz.

craigyl

My understanding is that standard DVD players 480i with progressive players being 480p and upscalers offering 720p and 1080i so I'm certain that his DVD will offer the 2 higher resolutions I might be wrong about standard def resolutions though.

andypandy

I think you will find that it CAN upscale to 1080i. The question is will the picture look better at 1080 or 720 from a standard dvd upscaled ?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom