Upscaling Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xFZ1x, Mar 16, 2006.

1. xFZ1x

xFZ1x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been answered...I did a search but didn't find the specific answer. Oh, and :rtfm: didn't work out either.:cool:

I just purchased a Sony DVPNS90V DVD player with HDMI out. Great. Got home and discovered my TV (Samsung DLP) doesn't have an HDMI input only DVI, composite, etc.:( When researching this purchase I though I had read that the upscaling only works with HDMI so will I not have this ability if I use an HDMI to DVI conversion cable?

It sounds like in the post HERE that this might be a problem?

Thanks!

Cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To be honest, right now at least, most players using HDMI are still onlyeffecitvely using 8-bit colour levels so the theoretical benefit of HDMI in thie regard is rarely seen in practice. That post you linked is correct, just at present the available hardware rarely makes use of it. And remember, digital displays are still 8-bit and will be so for some I from what I understand.

The fundamental issue you need to ensure you deal with is that the DVI input on the display supports HDCP, because without that you'll not [legally] get any video from a copy-protected DVD played using an HDMI-equipped player.

Upscaling is unrelated to the HDMI vs. DVI issue, scaling is usually only available on digital outputs, and in this regard that means either of these digital conections.

Hope this clarifies things. :)

3. xFZ1x

xFZ1x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks!:thumbsup:

4. Monk888

Monk888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    HDMI can support 10 and 12 bit colour.

High end DVD players such as the Pioneer 989 support 12 bit colour and look fantastic; you would see the benefits on any hald decent LCD or plasma display.

You get what you pay for.

Regards,

MP

5. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149

I dont think 'you get what you pay for' is strictly true. If you tend to pay the lowest prices you will generally have the lowest in quality. However paying the highest prices doesnt guarentee the best in quality, so one will always have to keep researching to find suitable equipment and quality as there is so much to chose from. Also you pays for the name, so a less reputable name may come out with a quality product that you could posibly ignore if you just think the high prices have the high qualities. Dont fall for it!

6. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Yeah mate, but it just so happens that very good kit also tends to cost.

7. Dom996

Dom996

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I agree. Good kit does cost. I will add that in my experience with many affordable to high end setups, is that upscaling DVD players mostly don't make a difference. I have gone into why before many times. I you want to know, try the search feature.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    xFZ1x

Do to licensing restrictions and the fact that many DVD player manufacturers now use 'off the shelf' video processing boards that come complete with integral video output sockets the majority of up-scaling DVD players only offer up-conversion on a Digital (HDMI or DVI) with HDCP encrypted output.

Where you don't have an HDMI or DVI with HDCP Input on your TV you have a much smaller range of up-converting DVD players to choose from - some players offer up-conversion on Analogue YPbPr 'Component' video outputs and some offer up-conversion on Digital non HDCP encrypted DVI outputs.

I guess your choice is replace the DVD player with one that does offer up-conversion on DVI and or Component or replace your TV with one that is HDMI compliant.

Best regards

Joe

9. xFZ1x

xFZ1x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cripes. I thought I knew how to hook this stuff up right...ugh