• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaling Question

Sapele

Standard Member
The Denon 1912 is listed as having no upscaling and the onkyo 609 has. I have a upc HD box connected to a samsung d7000 tv. The HD channels look great and the SD channels also look very well, obviously not as sharp as the HD ones though, but still very good.

If I hooked my UPC box by hdmi into the denon and then onwards to via hdmi to the TV im assuming the SD channel signal is not touched by the denon since it doesnt do upscaling. But if i had the onkyo would it make any difference to the SD channels im seeing?

Im assuming the UPC box already does some upscaling, as well as the d7000 tv, so will the onkyo add a bit more on top of that and make the SD channels even clearer?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Onkyo will give you no real benefit as you say since your TV will upscale anyway and your UPC box may well upscale as well. Your Tv will upscale as well as the Onkyo anyway. You only want one device to upscale anyway as each upscale operation will add noise to the picture and hence upscaling twice can make the picture worse.

Sapele

Standard Member
The Onkyo will give you no real benefit as you say since your TV will upscale anyway and your UPC box may well upscale as well. Your Tv will upscale as well as the Onkyo anyway. You only want one device to upscale anyway as each upscale operation will add noise to the picture and hence upscaling twice can make the picture worse.

I see. So the upscaling of a standard def TV station on a receiver is only really beneficial if your TV or cable box doesnt do a good job of it? On the specs of the onkyo it says upscaling to 1080p, which sounds great on paper.

Does anyone have an up to date TV that upscales well and still get benifit from the upscaling the receiver does to a TV signal? Im sure there are some TV's that do a great job of it and others not.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom