Question Upscaling quality difference between 49" and 55" Samsung ks8000

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by skibuddy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. skibuddy

skibuddy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at getting the ks8000 while still on offer but having trouble deciding on which size. The TV will be in a kitchen extension and wall mounted and viewing distance will be between 2.0m - 2.2m

As most of my viewing will be either 720p content (Now TV) or 1080p (Catch-up, other streaming) it feels like the deciding factor is what this content will appear like when it's upscaled to 4K on the TV and therefore how gods/bad it will seem from only 2 metres away

It feels the safe bet is the 49" TV but obviously don't want buyers regret, although I could probably return and purchase the other size if I needed to

Thoughts welcome. Thanks

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Thats pretty far for an UHD TV so I would definitely recommend to get the advantage of the extra resolution you go for 65" vs 55".

Of course it would mean taking a step down in PQ and it depends on personal preference but I would prefer to notice the extra resolution than having better contrast/blacks. I wouldn't blame you if you went the other way round @49" you may as well get a FHD TV.

3. skibuddy

skibuddy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply

I know what you're saying about size and 4K etc. It's just the better TVs now seem to be all UHD and the FHD TVs older with less choice. Over time I will begin to watch more 4K content, so it's a question of getting the right balance

With this constraint I just wanted to know whether upscaled HD content looked better/worse/same on a 55" panel compared to the 49" panel for this particular model at my viewing distance. I will try and ask for a demo in JL of a HD broadcast to compare but was hoping someone may have firsthand experience

Cheers

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    As far as I know the Samsungs are still missing All4.

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Anything 720p+ should look just as good on an UHD TV as a FHD one but limitations of source quality would mean you may notice 720p look worse at your viewing distance with a 55" TV vs 49" but likely 1080p you won't.

6. skibuddy

skibuddy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I went in JL today and looked at both sizes and also a 65 curved version. You can tell at each size, the slight deterioration in PQ as you go larger but I thought the 55" looked good enough at close distance with BBC HD and ITV HD being shown on it.

I don't really need the 4K Blu-Ray player that's bundled for free but I guess I can get £150-£200 for it if I sell it in, which offsets the cost a bit. JL price matched RS for the UE55KS8000, which will reduce the price by £50 and I can get another £50ish cashback