Upscaling: PS3 vs HD-EP30 and XE1

JakeDaSnake

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Any experiences with the upscaling capabilities of these machines?
Thanks

Do you man upscaling or the 'whole' video decoding here for DVD (MPEG2 / deinterlacing etc). The 30 has the potential to be good+ but needs firmware work atm. All is not as it should be but is all fixable. The PS3 however is exceptional at upscaling and MPEG2 decoding, which makes it one of the best DVD players around with its very good deinterlacing, regardless of price, on the video side. It has had the firmware 'tweaks' necessary having started out a 'bit rocky' on the DVD side. You need to use the HDMI connection however for best results.

I have just bought a 60" full HD plasma. I love my current DVD collection. I assumed the PS3 was a bad upscaler, but i think i wrongly assumed wrong.

Hence i was considering the EP30.

But if the PS3 can do it that well, i think i will save a few quid and not buy the EP30.

To get the best picture on your plasma you are better off looking at the performance of the MPEG2 decoder and the deinterlacers for DVD players. Upscaling is really pretty low down the list of the things to get right.

To get the best picture on your plasma you are better off looking at the performance of the MPEG2 decoder and the deinterlacers for DVD players. Upscaling is really pretty low down the list of the things to get right.

Sorry, i must learn what MPEG2 decoder and deinterlacers do first lol. Bit green here.

I have just bought a 60" full HD plasma. I love my current DVD collection. I assumed the PS3 was a bad upscaler, but i think i wrongly assumed wrong.

Hence i was considering the EP30.

But if the PS3 can do it that well, i think i will save a few quid and not buy the EP30.

Hi JakeDaSnake :)
What Plasma you got mate.............as mine upscales far better than my Ps3. :cool:
Sometimes it's best to check out how good your TV is at upscaling,can be a suprise. :D

Nothing as spectacular as yours lol. Mine is the LG 60PF95, not renowned for handling SD particularly well.

Her we go mr fifthy rich:D

Cheek. :D
Have a Happy new year and all the best mate. ;)
party-049.gif

Slightly off topic, but I was trying to compare 2 copies of Chicago on DVD yesterday and I could hardly tell any difference between them on my PS3 and EP35. I couldn't say if one was better than the other it was so close. Both were through HDMI into my Toshiba 42x3030db on exact scan. One thing I did notice was the EP35 played the trailers in 4:3 and the PS3 in widescreen.:confused:

Would someone please be kind enough to recommend which plays/upscales standard DVD's best out of the Sony PS3 60 gig and the Toshiba HD-XE1?

Thanking you in advance!

Would someone please be kind enough to recommend which plays/upscales standard DVD's best out of the Sony PS3 60 gig and the Toshiba HD-XE1?

Thanking you in advance!

Hi britlifter
hello-104.gif

Xe1.
respect-applause-002.gif

Has truly amazingly good results with SD dvd.

Thx dude ;)
May I ask how your Tosh XE1 compares to your Pio 989 with DVD picture? Thx

Hi mate :)
After having both for a while now,i would have to say
thinking-023.gif
there both on par with each other to be honest. :cool:
I never use the Xe1 for SD though,as it's not multi-region and not as fast operating like the 989. :)

Thx Kingfats!

So, how much better is the Tosh at playing SD-DVD than the PS3? Only I am umming and arring between the two, I mean the PS3 does soo much but if the Tosh was substatialy better with DVD, that would be my priority.

Is the difference large or subtle between the PS3 and Tosh with SD-DVD? Can you describe the difference in words?

Thx!

Is the difference large or subtle between the PS3 and Tosh with SD-DVD? Can you describe the difference in words?

:confused: Rather than with colours or shapes... :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Don't forget the PS3 is a games console, it may play the discs but a standalone will always have better functionality, I haven't got an XE1 but much prefer using my standalone players rather than the PS3. ;)

I only use the PS3 for BR, even the games are better on the Xbox IMHO... and yes the PC hasn't been replaced either.. :D Both PS3 and I believe XE1 are great SD players WRT to PQ, but IMO it's obvious which is better to use day to day, a dedicated player rather than a hybrid console..

Thx Kingfats!

So, how much better is the Tosh at playing SD-DVD than the PS3? Only I am umming and arring between the two, I mean the PS3 does soo much but if the Tosh was substatialy better with DVD, that would be my priority.

Thx!

Hi mate :)
The Xe1 is better than the Ps3 at upscaling but i wouldn't call it a massive difference. :)
The Xe1 just seems (hard to describe) give a cleaner picture.Background detail is clearer/sharper and the picture has a more solid/3D look over all. :smashin:

With the xe1 and the Reon chip you also have good picture settings like mosquito, random(for grain reduction) and block noise reduction as well as edge enhancements. Although i found that even without these the picture is suberb. Since i updated to firmware 2.7 the picture seems to be cleaner than the last update as well but that could be my eyes!:smashin:

Is there a hd-dvd/blu-ray player available at this moment that can upscale SD dvd's as well as, for example, a Denon dvd-3930?

I believe they all upscale SD-DVDs, I have a PS3 and the upscaling is very very good. It beat a Denon 1940 but that is a few models below the 3930. There are a few threads on this if you have a search. IMO the upscaling may not beat it but will be there or thereabouts that of the 3930.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom