Upscaling Players Unite!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bonc, Nov 1, 2005.

1. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again...

This may be a difficult post to help with, but if you dont ask you dont get....

I've read many reviews & comments on DVD players that upscale, and almost everyone thinks their pic is amazing, out of this world, gorgeous!!

But in most cases we dont have much to compare it with, only having brought/demo'd the one upscaling player so far! And have to rely on benchmarking tests or proffessional reviews to know just how good our beloved player is!

But what grates me even more is I know what im seeing on my living room picture, and I think its all of the above too (720p - wow - 1080i double wow)! - but I want to know that what im looking at is what your looking at!!!???

So

Can any brave soul do the following - post a picture of the same scene at 576p then 720p and finally at 1080i

and if possible, highlight the differences between.

I know this may be difficult to do via the internet, picture quality, 3D dimensionality etc,colours but I would be extremley grateful if you could try!!!

I'm sure alot of people would be interested in the results of this post too, especially if you can provide picture evidence as to what it should look like in your eyes!

I know you say go to a demo room like sevenoaks, but trust me, not even sevenoaks have got the time and patience to deal with me when my curiosity needs satisfying!!!

what would be really cool would be if someone could post up same scences with two different upscaling players - that would be interesting!

Anyway, I hope you guys get where im coming from, and better still have the video evidence to boot too!

Thanks

Bonc :smashin:

2. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I cant tell the difference on the screen let alone on a photo!

The scaler in my projector (pany 700) must be equal to the scaler in my dvd player (samy 950)

3. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    bcopping - I would hope your 700 scaler was better! :D

bonc - I am hoping to get a copy of "Lovers" it's a Chinese movie with some really nice detailed scenes. I will then post a series of photos showing it in it's true HD format, a 480p pic of the exact same scene, upscaled 720p and 1080i via my Panasonic player (Digital) and the same again via my Momitsu if your lucky I might even include upscaled images via component.

I should say that these will be captured from my PJ so the pictures are ultimately 720p - but you will still see the differences.

I have been wanting to do this for a while but could only use a TV 1080i scene as the true HD source. Fortunately they transmitted this movie in it's original format last weekend so can now do a better comparison.

I am going to the Hire shop tonight so hope to have something set up within a couple of days...I'll start a new thread for it but will put a link here.

My idea for maintaining the picture quality is to show one full frame photo reduced and compressed then select an area (maximum pic allowed on site)and show all formats at full resolution! Got the picture! :)

Just to let you know, I find the upscaled images very close to 1080i - what it lacks is the 'pin sharp' crispness of 1080i and you still get motion 'artifacts' happening but all in all I am very pleased with my upscaling players.

4. bonc

bonc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32