Upscaling Player for Toshiba 37WLT66

Sicton

Standard Member
I'm looking to buy a new DVD player for a Toshiba 37WLT66, preferably for around £100 or less but suggestions above that price still welcome. At the moment the TV is running off a very cheap supermarket-type DVD player which really needs upgrading!

So far I've been tempted by the Samsung DVD-HD860 but I'm wondering if there are any other notable players out there. What would be best suitable connecting to this TV?

Thanks

stup1973

Toshiba SD-360E is around £80. Haven't got one myself but it won the best dvd player under £200 in What Hi-Fi mag this year.

M

Miller

I posed the same sort of question in another thread,

:confused: A friend is about to take delivery next week of a Sony 40x. Her dvd player is about 5 years old (sony DVA-S500, all in one system). I've checked the outputs, and it looks like s-video only.

My advice to her is going to be, to buy a cheapish dvd player (about £100)that upscales via hdmi, and input the sound to her old player/amp via the available optical in. (Her intention after xmas etc is to get sky hd and blue ray/hd dvd when they come down in price) :confused:

What other reasonable upscaling dvd players are there for around £100?

Sicton

Standard Member
Looks like the Sony is the number one choice at the moment from what I've seen. I'm assuming it doesn't come with an HDMI cable unlike the Samsung.

Sicton

Standard Member
I have just read a thread where someone with a 42" Philips TV bought a Pioneer player and complained the picture quality is worse than their old DVD player despite the upscaling! I'm wanting to buy this as a Christmas present and I want to make sure it's going to make a noticeable difference, and I also need to order it pretty sharpish to make sure it gets here in time.

Sicton

Standard Member
Ok, time to order today! Does anyone have any further suggestions? If not then I'm going to go with the Sony.

Thanks

morgs

Novice Member
Just a thought for you. If you have a tosh tv, and you buy a tosh DVD player, you should be able to do without yet another remote, as you'd be able to use the basic functions on the tv remote.

One less little plastic box in my household is definitely a good thing!;)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom