Upscaling opinion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Chrisgixer, Nov 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Didnt know it exists

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don’t believe in it so 8k is a waste of money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It’s amazing technology well worth the cost of 8k tv

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    basickly asking do you think it works?

Reason I ask is, the latest threads on 8k TVs seem to bemoan the fact that there is no 8k footage available so what do we need 8k tv for?

YET...and here’s the thing for me, Samsung say they can upscale and source into this set to improve the picture to almost 8k quality. Hence justifying the purchase. Certainly the picture is better than 4K from a non 4K source....And from what I see it does seem to work.

But why wouldn’t it?...we already have upscaling in 4K TVs which people seem to forget, as in some cases they say 4K is a con , there’s no great improvement. But surely the reason there’s no great improvement is the non 4K source has been upscaled already by the technology in the tv they have? So you don’t see a massive improvement. Granted this will vary in tv spec, but is this not the case? Why wouldn’t this work for 8k tv?

I don’t see this in opinions on here though. Does upscaling not work or are we forgetting the feature exists? I suspect the later. Or have I miss understood?

What do you think of upscaling...?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    You cannot improve upon a signal's resolution, but different up-scaling techniques can give a more watchable picture.

An example would be where the up-scale is taking 1 pixel and spreading it over a block of 4 or 9 pixels. Using interpolation techniques, it's quite easy to take the information from the surrounding pixels to create an intermediate blended set of pixels. This smoothing will give the impression of higher resolution, but closer examination will show it's really just enhanced the image and there's no more detail.

Let's be honest, up-scaling and in fact, scaling in general is here to stay. There's simply too many different formats and resolutions now in existence to avoid it!

3. Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don’t see the relevance being honest

If the viewer sees an improvement then it works. How the improvement is implemented matters little in the eye of the beholder.

Going by replies then, it seems nobody considers upscaling to be, well...relevant

4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The problem isn't really the upscaling but rather that you are watching lower resolution content on a screen that is much bigger than practical for the resolution because now you would be able to clearly see each pixel whereas before on a much smaller screen you could not.

The job of upscaling in this scenario is to hide the resulting fuzzy pixelation. Regular upscaling algorithms are fine for 1080 -> 4K as 1080 is often already high enough resolution for the viewing distance and common screen sizes (55/65). OTOH even with FHD this may start to become a big problem on a massive 88" 8k screen only a few feet away.

For eg, while a DVD on a 32" TV was fine at 3m, the same on a 65" TV @3m is going to look awful whatever you try to do with regular upscaling. Samsung are attempting to trace out the object in a scene to attempt to draw part of them at a higher resolution to get around the problem of source pixels being far too big for the viewing distance. Ie the apparent angular size of a pixel is too big for simple upscale.

5. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Not seen the 8k upscale so cannot comment in the vote but if it raised HD at east to a watchable picture then it will be a good thing. It would be interesting to get a run down of how they do it.

6. Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

7. Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All things are relative. So for me with a 14 ft distance to the tv i’d Need a bigger tv by default anyway. But I take your point, it’s filling in the gaps. But your still seeing a better picture at a 14ft distance than you would in 4K...

I should add... I haven’t purchased a 4K tv. So relatively.... why bother now?

But that aside, nobody seems to recognise upscaling exists. It is worth having..right?

8. Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are we saying 4k on an 8k set would be worse picture quality? Given, for me, i’d Be further away at 14feet viewing distance?
    The way I see it, bigger and more is best from further away, so yes indeed imo.

9. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Don't know, not seen it. That is the thing, I usually rely on my own eyes for a look see not someone else. My 4k does 1080i very well (and 1080p is better again). SD is SD, accept it as fuzzy, too far away from 4k to bump up keeping it sharp. Certainly watchable, I have a few box sets like Father Ted (would have been aired in PAL initially)

If Samsung have a way of filling in the gaps and bring up hd (720 0r 1080 etc) to 8k, 4k is within reach I would think (I fully expect it is), then HD is a better option on 8k than SD is on 4k.

If that makes sense.

But upscaling as a worth, absolutely and in this day and age, necessary. But there are limits.

I use the distance mentions in charts etc. as a guide not a rule for my viewing distance and that is based on what I have seen, rely on what your eyes tell you. Of course a 55" 40' away well yeah, will be an issue. 8k at twice what I have for 4k (14ft)? Probably someone will say this and that, I will look at it and make my mind up.

Going to John Lewis this weekend and will see if they have one out on demo. It will be interesting. Not buying, just curious.

10. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Well, got to see the 8k in JL yesterday. Very impressed with the demo material however the shop floor was very busy due to the match and lots of eyes looking to get wowed. First impression, native with the demo (I assume it was a top of the shop material), very impressed with 8K.

No chance for a comparison with all the bodies around. Another day. But I doubt it was upscaled.