• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaling Games!!!!

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
ok guys, i seem to have a problem getting the ps3 to play 720p games in 1080p. GT5p, ridge racer 7, movies and media all play in 1080p, which is gr8. but ratchet and clank, condemned 2, army of two and GTA4 all display in 720p. ive turned on the ps upscaler to full screen and tried normal with no joy. ive tried turning off 1080i and 720p in the display options which leaves only 1080p and 576p, but all that happens then is games that arn't 1080p just play in 576p!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure the ps3 doesn't upscale games, however it will downscale them.

well if thats true, then thats fines, but GTA4 on the back of the box says it will display in 720p,1080i,1080p. im sure u can play gta4 in 1080p ???

am i wrong ???

Zeromajor

Prominent Member
well if thats true, then thats fines, but GTA4 on the back of the box says it will display in 720p,1080i,1080p. im sure u can play gta4 in 1080p ???

am i wrong ???

Oh no not this again :D

Gta4 renders natively at something like 640p, but the ps3 can upscale (it does have an upscaler) to whatever resolution your t.v can handle.

The quality of the scaler within the tv will help also.

Doing a quick search, it looks like your panel is 1080p compatible, so the best option for 720p (or below) native games would be for you to just run it at 720p and let the ps3/tv scale it.

Forcing the ps3 to run it at 1080p might decrease the speed/quality of graphics.

That's what i've found anyway - i'm sure someone will come along and claim what i've just said is rubbish though - seems like there's far too many ways to do it and it all depends on what setup you have.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
this is my issue, only with GTA4 really, i was sure it had 1080p support, but for the life of me i cannot seem to get it to display in 1080p. just to confirm, i know this casue my TV always tells you what resolution its in, when a resolution change occurs. e.g. when i start the system, my TV informs me it in 1080p, then if i run GT5p, theres a few res changes, then it informs me that its back in 1080p. but when i play GTA4, it says 720p ????

i find this a bit pants really, as the xbox will do most if not all games in 1080i ? upscaling that is

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
go to display settings.
set output to CUSTOM.
deselect 720p but leave 1080 selected.

voila.
GTA IV in 1080.

Thanx m8y, this worked with GTA4, but it dosent seem to work woth any other game i have.

Buff99

Established Member
yeah because it seems GTA was specially coded to do this.

- as Sony forgot to implement this in hardware then it's up to game developers to do it (or not as you are discovering).

... at least M$ got it right with the scaler chip in the 360 though

beasty54

Distinguished Member
this is my issue, only with GTA4 really, i was sure it had 1080p support, but for the life of me i cannot seem to get it to display in 1080p. just to confirm, i know this casue my TV always tells you what resolution its in, when a resolution change occurs. e.g. when i start the system, my TV informs me it in 1080p, then if i run GT5p, theres a few res changes, then it informs me that its back in 1080p. but when i play GTA4, it says 720p ????

i find this a bit pants really, as the xbox will do most if not all games in 1080i ? upscaling that is

Even if the TV is displaying 720p on its little info bar its only telling you the signal its being fed, the panel is upscaling the image itself to 1080p and in your set the scaler is probably just as good as and maybe even better than the scaler in the PS3.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom