• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaling DVD's with 360

super-saint

Hi

Quick question;

I assume the 360 upscales standard DVD's ? Does it do the job well

With rumours that you now get a HD drive for £20, was wondering if the HD drive will upscale even better ?

Anyone know

Tufty McTavish

With rumours that you now get a HD drive for £20, was wondering if the HD drive will upscale even better ?

I'm sure I saw it for £6.99 somewhere at some point!

The HD-DVD drive is just a transport, I think. The bulk of the work is done in software on the 360, so there won't be any difference with or without the HD-DVD drive I'd have thought. Not sure, just what I'd assume.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
the xbox 360 upscales dvds over vga/hdmi,to whatever resolution you have your 360 set to.
the only way it doesnt is if you use component,and then they are locked at 480p.

cliffio76

DVD upscaling through the 360 can only be done when connecting via the VGA cable.

plazmoid

the xbox 360 upscales dvds over vga/hdmi,to whatever resolution you have your 360 set to.
the only way it doesnt is if you use component,and then they are locked at 480p.
I am only running at component so that will be why mine doesn't upscale. thanks for clearing that up so I won't make the same mistake again.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
the real fact is the end of the line...the tv.
your tv will also scale,to its native resolution,and you cannot get greater than that,so,even if the 360 didnt scale anything over any input,your tv will,and more than likely will do a better job than the 360's scaler,and up to the tv's native resolution,so if you have a component connection with movies locked out at 480p,and you have a 1920x1080 display,then you have dvd's upscaled to 1080p(1920x1080).

shagaboopon

The HD-DVD drive is significantly quieter than the 360 DVD drive when playing a film but makes no difference in quality in terms of upscaling.

Marcos

Wait :confused:, DVDs played on my Elite over HDMI are not upscaled?

Marcos

I disagree with that comment. Both my 360 and DVD player upscale better than my TV (Sony 40X3000).
Is that an LCD or Plasma?

LCD upscalers are shocking, so yes, the 360 will be better

Volkodlak

Eh, the 360 does upscale via HDMI but it's a pretty poor DVD player as it is to be honest - so theres not much upscaling to be done with it anyways.

You'll get better results off a stand alone DVD player that has an HDMI connection.

And no I'm not bashing the 360 - I am a fan, but it's a gaming machine not a DVD player :rolleyes:

WillyJohn

Hi

Quick question;

I assume the 360 upscales standard DVD's ? Does it do the job well

Anyone know

I got a £13 HD drive from Amazon last week.

1. It is louder than the Benq drive in my 360. Not in a bad way but it is yet more noise from a noisy console.

2. I thought upscaled DVD over HDMI was good enough for me but the HD DVD (King Kong) I watched did look much clearer than I was expecting on my 26"T Sony LCD. I didn't see the point in going Blu ray before giving it a go but I think I'll now be investing in a PS3.

shagaboopon

I got a £13 HD drive from Amazon last week.

1. It is louder than the Benq drive in my 360. Not in a bad way but it is yet more noise from a noisy console.

2. I thought upscaled DVD over HDMI was good enough for me but the HD DVD (King Kong) I watched did look much clearer than I was expecting on my 26"T Sony LCD. I didn't see the point in going Blu ray before giving it a go but I think I'll now be investing in a PS3.

The general consensus by the vast majority is its quieter than the 360 drives so you must be lucky to have a exceptionally quiet drive.

WillyJohn

The general consensus by the vast majority is its quieter than the 360 drives so you must be lucky to have a exceptionally quiet drive.

My current Benq no.4 is reasonably quiet (for dvds but not games) as were the other 2 Benqs I have had since the Halo launch (I'm not very lucky). I did have a Hitachi on console no.3 and that was terrible..

But please dont let me put you off.. If you want the included media remote or a chance to sample HD cheaply I still think its an excellent buy.

Marcos

Eh, the 360 does upscale via HDMI but it's a pretty poor DVD player as it is to be honest - so theres not much upscaling to be done with it anyways.

You'll get better results off a stand alone DVD player that has an HDMI connection.

And no I'm not bashing the 360 - I am a fan, but it's a gaming machine not a DVD player :rolleyes:
Hows the PS3's upscaling over HDMI?

Volkodlak

I'm scared to say my opinion here because people will e-beat me.

But, it's better than the 360 - Now before everyone gets crazy - I NEVER said it's a better console.

360 is my choice when it comes to gaming, but a PS3 is a good player, real good.

I mean, even the HD-DVD addon to the 360 is a bit poor, compared to stand-alone players that is... But the PS3 is more than a match for standalone Blu-ray players and with updates it only got better.

But I'll say it again so people don't kill me.... 360 for games, PS3 for movies, Wii for dust.

BradleyLove

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom