• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Upscaling DVD's On MCE 2005

Valo^

Novice Member
I've finally got my Media Centre setup correctly, networked to my GB Switch via CAT 5 and streaming HD video perfectly.

I really fancy attempting to upscale dvd's via ffdshow & Purevideo, has anyone attempted it, if so what are your settings? I've read the article on HTPC News and have got a rough idea on how to set it up.

Some questions:

Can I use Purevideo or does it have to be Theatre-tek?
What settings/upscaled res would you recommend for ffdshow to get the best out of my Tv it's a Panasonic 37" PV500 connected via dsub screen res 1360x768?

Any help would be great.

trifin

Novice Member
afaik:

- you need Theatre-tek as MCE2005 does not allow ffdshow.
- this depends on source material - ffdshow allows you to use a multipler (and therefore keep aspect ratio) or you can choose a res like 720p.

I dont really think its worth it! I have a 37" screen and it doesnt seem worth it. It might be more applicable is live tv etc could be upres'ed but as MCE2005 wont allow it then ffdshow is really applicable if you have a projector or over 40" screen.

Dont forget it wont be long before we all have HD tv and HD dvds so the need for upres'ing will decrease. Won't it?

Embarker

Your graphic card will "upscale" to the res that you set it at.

I found it easier to just use Purevideo and the my movie plug in, TT introduces it own independant volume control. Works great on my 42" plasma.

Best to keep it simple - less to go wrong!!!

Dangerous Dave

Spy

I hope you can help as I am a little confused.

I currently run MCE and use an ATI card (and therefore the ATI crystal software) at 720p with Theatertek as my DVD player.

I have a 50" screen connected to this via DVI/HDMI.

I would like to ensure I get the best pricture particularly in teh area of upscaling, as the newer DVD players do.

Is what I have OK or would I benefit from better quality by using something like FFDShow or DScaler ?

This needs to be balance with stability and reliability !

tinners

Novice Member
You can install My Movies in MCE and then get that to use Theatretek as the default player - see here (NB PDF document)

You can then use Theatretek with FFDShow and there's a guide on how to do that here

Spy

Thanks Tinners.

Will FFDShow make a big difference over just MCE and Theatertek ?

tinners

Novice Member
Thanks Tinners.

Will FFDShow make a big difference over just MCE and Theatertek ?

Depends on your personal setup and preference really. Myself I just use Nvidia in MCE and find that perfectly good for my DVDs but I'm not hard to please I guess.

I use ffdshow for postprocessing DivX & Xvid movies for extender playback on my 360 and find it works great at smoothing out the blocks.

Spy

Slight aside.

Tinners, You mention FFDshow processing DIVx.

Will this work through Theatertek as well ?

tinners

Novice Member
Dont know, I just use it natively in MCE with FFDShow doing the postprocessing in there. (As I use 360 Extender mainly for watching movies)

This thread would seem to say so.

Check / Post in the TT forums http://www.theatertek.com/Forums/ what you want to do and I'm sure someone will help you out

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom