upscaling DVD upto £60 ish to go with technosonic lcd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmg123, May 4, 2007.

1. dmg123

dmg123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    looking for an upscaling DVD player (budget upto £60 ish) to go with technosonic lcd 32"((black woolworths) then later on this year a 40/42" better quality tv.

have a xbox 360 hooked up at the moment - i take it an upscaling dvd player will be an improvement?

any ideas/deals/tips would be great

2. JENeric

JENeric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a xbox 360, and have owned a cheap Phillips upscaling player. From my and experience, and considering your budget, I wouldn't bother 'upgrading'. If you only spending £60, you can be sure the upscaling is going to be a complete waste of time. Although the 360 dvd playback isn't great, pq won't be much better with a ultra cheap dvd player. Budget players are fine with small tv's, but when connected to 40 inch screens or larger, they really do begin to look poor. If you are going to upgrade, my advice is to spend a little bit more on a deck to partner your future 40/42 inch screen. I use a Harman Kardon DVD 22 player, it wasn't cheap and it doesn't upscale, but the picture quality is way better than the £70 Philips I took back.

3. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Connect the xbox 360 to your tv with the vga connection it will now upscale sd dvd's and on my hd tv they look great.

4. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

I agree with metalguru since the XBox360 will only upscale SD DVD via VGA, not component or scart. Use an XBox360 VGA cable and set up the resolution to either 1360x768 or, if it wont accept that, 1280x720. My Dad has his laptop connected to a Tesco's Technosonic via VGA and it looks great. We had our Mirai 27" LCD connected to the XBox360 via VGA and the Xbox360 did a great job at upscaling (far better than the scaling of the Mirai). Here is a good price for the Official Microsoft VGA cable:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore...uctcode=XT0041&title=xbox_360_vga_hd_av_cable

Other than that I would buy the Sony NS76 DVD player. It is about £10-£15 over your budget but my Dad gets very good results on his LCD using both 720p and 1080i. I have tried it on our Mirai via HDMI and the results imho were better than the XBox360 upscaling on VGA. This is probably because the XBox360 uses 60hz over VGA rather than 50hz which PAL DVDs prefer. You also don't get the noise from the XBox360.

Hope this helps