upscaling DVD to match 50" LG 50PX4D TV

vancreef

Standard Member
I am sceptical about this whole upscaling thing as i haven't seen one in action and wondered if they are any good? I am looking to replace my 5-6 year old DVD player and have seen some of these upscaling DVD players for as little as £30. How much of a difference is there and should i avoid low price bottom end models? Idealy i would like an LG one as that is what my TV is and it saves using mutilple remotes. It would also have to have an optical out as it will be connected to a home cinema.

clarkyb

i would say definitely stay away from the bottom end ones, i mean you surely wouldnt buy a standard def supermarket special player would you? Just because it has the latest buz word of "upscaler" written next to the aldi label does not mean the player is magical.

You get what you pay for
i.e. the supermarket special = crap

especially as you have a 50" tv, i would say a good dvd source is fairly essential for that size of screen. £100 minimum i would say

S

stek1961

I have a similar issue!

I have just stepped into the big telly world with a Panny 50" plazzy and Sky HD. I'm looking at an upscaler too, but I can't decide between the Sony N76 and Panny D52. Panny would suit the remote I have with the telly (one less) but it's pig ugly compared to the Sony. If the panny tv remote which has DVD controls on it could operate the Sony I'd maybe go for that.....

Help!

Steve

vancreef

Standard Member
looking at a LG DNX190UH. won best buy, upscales to 1080 and has USB plus. all for £65.99 at Dixons. forgot to mention in my initial question that money IS an object.

glorfindel

Novice Member
We run the LG at work and it looks pretty good.
I have an oppo at home running to a panny 26 and it looks excellant.

Bolander

Novice Member
I have a similar issue!

I have just stepped into the big telly world with a Panny 50" plazzy and Sky HD. I'm looking at an upscaler too, but I can't decide between the Sony N76 and Panny D52. Panny would suit the remote I have with the telly (one less) but it's pig ugly compared to the Sony. If the panny tv remote which has DVD controls on it could operate the Sony I'd maybe go for that.....

Help!

Steve
An alternative is to control the TV from the player remote. The NS76H manual lists codes for the various manufacturers and I just tried one of the two for Panasonic with my CRT set. This allowed me to switch the TV on and off, operate the AV source switch, and control volume. Haven't tried this before because I normally use a Harmony remote to control everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom