• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

upscaling DVD software

S

stoner

HI,

I'm running windows media centre edition 2005. I have a dvi output on my PC and this conects to my HD screen. As there are up scaling DVDs I wondered if there is software that will allow my PC to upscale the quality of my DVDs

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Your DVD software is doing that job for you otherwise how would you fill the screen on your TV if for instance you are sending at 1360x768.

S

stoner

thats good to know thanks, I can't remember what I'm sending it at sorry, I know its very low as the screen flickers when I have it up near 1360x768, I'm worried that I might need a graphics card, but my shuttle's PSU will struggle to take one, I went out of my way to get a shuttle case that had 1x PCI (for my tuner card) , built in 5.1 sound and built in DVI out, but I'm not sure that the ATI on board graphics are up to it. I have 1 GB of RAM in it but the graphics share it. It's the first time in years that I have used onboard graphics, I hoped it would be quiet and wold work, but I'm having second thoughts. I have two Media PCs one small and quiet and one beast thats it very load but very cabable. I really need the small one to work, so hoepfully I can get the flickering sorted out.

thanks again

jaymz

You can use ffdshow for upscaling and image enhancement with MCE (be careful of version as some cause problems). The image enhancement will not upscale to HD resolutions as such but will enable you to improve quality by using nosie reduction, sharpness, etc.

IIRC the MPEG2 decoder is only experimental and the CoreAVC and Purevideo as deemed better.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom