1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upscaling DVD players - your ranking

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spacedog, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on your knowledge/experiences/information, what would be the ranking of available upscaling DVD players for you guys (no matter the price)? Say, from number 1 (better) to number 5 (not so good)... :)

2. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to know also. Incidentally, are upscaling DVD players a standard these days or do most lack this option?

3. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too would like to know what is the best upscaling DVD player in around the £300-£500 bracket please!

Also is upscaling actually any good, ie does it always yield good results or is it a bit hit and miss?

I was contemplating buying my first plasma, (maybe a Panny HD7 or a HD8) and an upscaling DVD player of some kind.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Upscaling in the DVD player is pretty pointless unless your display device is particularly bad at scaling. And if you are not careful, you'll end up with both the DVD and the display scaling. Buy a decent component deck and make do with that until true HD arrives....PJ :)

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    few people have seen any bar a handful and often their views appear not sufficient wide in order to be able to make a good judgement as to their quality.

6. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it this means upscaling DVD players haven't yet taken center stage. Why is that? Is the technology in its infancy or is it perhaps pointless-ish given that current LCD's and plasma's do a good job at scaling?

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I go with the latter, and so does everyone when they sit down and watch something with me.

8. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still, this little blurb on amazon.com suggests otherwise Nic:

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Well I must be wrong then, like always. A quick search here will show my views. Feel free to follow Amazons 'good' advice.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's marketing BS basically. There is no guarantee it will look better, and may look worse. My component Pio 575 beats my DVI upscaled Samsung 745. OK have a dabble, it's not that expensive. But don't fall for the marketing drivel....PJ :)

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I think there is a little problem with the style of the original question. There is no such thing as "the best DVD player" of any kind! A DVD player is only as good as the display device allows... I have owned a Pioneer 575 and I found it OK when connected to a Panasonic AE100 - it certainly gave a better image than a Giec DVD player I had connected via VGA.

When I upgraded to an AE300 things changed - now the Giec gave a better image than the Pioneer, and by some margin!

Other DVD players I have owned showed interesting differences... eg. a Sony DVP-NS900 (non progressive) player produces an OK image on my AE700 PJ, whilst a Sony DVP-NS930 (I think that's the correct model no.) progressive enabled player gave a better image through interlaced mode - I imagine this means the de-interlacer in the AE700 is better than the one in the 930. The £50.00 Limit DVD900SE gives a very good image (better than either Sony) when used in progressive mode. Of course, in all these cases it is the PJ that is scaling the image to 720P. When I use my Panny S97 or Philips DVP9000 set to 720P I get a better image than when using any other resolution via HDMI and component - I suspect that means the scaler in the DVD player is better than the one in the PJ when the player is set to 720P.

I would imagine that a separate scaler may enable an even better image... from some if not all of the DVD players mentioned.

I apologise for the length of this post, but this type of question is so frequently asked that it has begun to bug me a little :D

For me it comes down to a question of potential - DVD player A may have the potential to produce a "better" image than DVD player B, but this potential will always be subject to a display's inate characteristics, in much the same way as an AV amplifier/speaker combo, or timbre matching a set of surround speakers.

So, in answer to the original question - it will always depend on the display being used... and not least on personal preference. ;)

12. AndrewB

AndrewB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  14. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The bob guy is technically wrong when he refers to the DVD having 480i on the disk its actually 480P@29.97 or 576P@25Hz, see below extract from DVD Demystified

"There are three differences between discs intended for playback on different TV systems: picture dimensions and pixel aspect ratio (720x480 vs. 720x576), display frame rate (29.97 vs. 25), and surround audio options (Dolby Digital vs. MPEG audio). (See 3.4 and 3.6 for details.) Video from film is usually encoded at 24 frames/sec but is preformatted for one of the two required display rates. Movies formatted for PAL display are usually sped up by 4% at playback, so the audio must be adjusted accordingly before being encoded."