Upscaling DVD Players - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jameshopper, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jameshopper

jameshopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My new tv arrives on Monday - the Samsung SAMSUNG LE32R72BX (I thought a bit of a bargain at £560). I currently have SKy+ and my current DVD Recorder (Panny Es10) set up with my existing tv. I am considering getting an upscaling dvd player - the phillips 5960 (I've read all about this model, lets just assume for the sake of argument it is working correctly)
    The questions I have are as follows - any help on these would be appreciated...

1 - With TVs upscaling the picture anyway, is the upscaling engine on the TV better than the phillips?

2 - My understanding is that the phillips plays DivX and even DivX Ultra. If i therefore downloaded a HD or HR episode of a tv program in DivX (moral issues aside), will the phillips send a true HD/HR picture?

All help or advice on these questions would be much appreciated

Thanks

James

2. spooney

spooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I am not very familiar with your DVD player but usually the scaling engine on the TV is better than an average player (for the sake of avoiding arguments let us assume the Philips is an average player ;)
    Only expensive players or dedicated video processors will do a better job.