Upscaling DVD Players - are they worth it ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Juddy, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Juddy

Juddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a Pionneer 436xde plasma and was wondering whether it's worth buying a upscaling DVD player such as a Denon DVD-1920, or just use my 5 year old Sony DVD via a scart lead and wait til HD DVD comes out ? Does anyone run a Denon DVD-1920 through a HD plasma TV ? Your thoughts ?

2. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume your TV has digital connections and component connections?

I noticed a big difference going from RGB scart to component connections and progressive scan. My experience with DVI/HDMI is that the quality looks more 'sharp' and 'edgey' and component looks more 'soft' and 'natural'

I borrowed one of the 'upscaling' Denon dvd players and I prefered the Harman Kardon DVD 22 that I have got (component connection)

I am sure many would disagree BUT my experience was that a £200 player using component looks 'better' than a compromised 'upscaling' player.

Cant comment on the more expensive players, i am sure they could look better on HDMI.

3. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    It's definitely a matter of personal taste. From my experiences, 576p via component looks a bit softer and less detailed than 720p via HDMI. However, this can work both to your advantage and disadvantage as a more detailed image results in more picture noise being visible on poorly mastered discs. The difference is pretty small though.

4. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 436FDE and a Samsung DVD HD950 connected via HDMI and the picture is very good (no macro blocking or jaggies). I wanted to upgrade and got the Denon 1920 on line......I was very dissapointed with the image even after playing with the settings. The Denon gave jaggies even though its has DCDi. I sent it back and got a refund. I'm not sure if the Pioneer has a problem with the Denon as may users with other screens seem to like this player.....but with the 436 I think you will be dissapointed. I tried the player over component and HDMI and the results were pretty much the same.

5. Juddy

Juddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Decided to go the HD950 route for now - bought one yesterday and the pictures are great! Will start saving for the HD DVD / Blue Ray......thanks again. Juddy

6. fidelityutensil

fidelityutensil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mind me asking where you got the 950 from, and how much it cost?

Thanks

7. Juddy

Juddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, it was the HD850 that I bought in the end. Read lots of on line reviews (lots of info in this forum) that indicated that there wasn't much difference picture wise. Think the HD950 is higher spec but I didn't require all it offered, as I solely use it to play DVD's. Also, I didn't go bargain hunting with this item (unlike my TV), so paid the full £99 at Comet so I could try it over the weekend. Appreciate you can get it for £15 less mail order. Cheapest on pricerunner is about £110-115 for the HD950 I think. What TV do you have ? I question whether upscalers are worth the money if you have a decent TV upscaler in the TV itself. My previous Sony DVD player gave a great picture from a RGB scart into my Pioneer.

8. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The HD950 is available from Richer Sounds....not online, but if your local store has one, you are in luck :)

9. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    you're using scart on a screen like that :eek:

thats criminal!
    even a cheapish player with progressive scan, connected via component will give a HUGE improvement :smashin:

10. AVdavid

AVdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Play.com have the HD950 for £118 free postage
    Dave

11. Juddy

Juddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned, I bought the Sammy HD850. Playing it through HDMI and the picture is great! Bumped up the sharpness a little on the TV to levels higher than I have for freeview as the upscaling works a treat and can take it. Great detail. It will certainly keep me going until proper HD DVD / Blue Ray is released.