Upscaling DVD player with HD ready LCD, any good?

Paul101

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 32" HDTV LCD, but first I want to know how good an image I can expect if I connect an upscaling DVD player through component or HDMI/DVI? I'm not yet decided on which TV or player yet, I'm more looking for an general view/s ( if there is one ? ).

The source material would be SKY+ and Mini DV camcorder rocordings for the most part.

Also what is SKY+ through RGB like connected to this type of TV, compared with my Philips 100Hz 28PW9309 TV. Is it variable, depending on make of LCD? I've read some negative things about SKY on LCD's in these forums. I woudn't want to get something that was worse than I already have.

Any expert advice or pesonal experience would be appreciated :) .

Upscaling DVD players will not output the typical LCD resolution of 1366x768. If you used the upscaling facilities of a DVD player, then you would have to do two scaling operations - one in the DVD to 720p or 1080i, and then another to the native resolution.

Unless there is a noticable difference in the quality of the processing, two scaling operations will not be better than one. And the processing in an inexpensive DVD player isn't likely to be any better than what is in the TV. For a TV and DVD player from the same manufacturer, you may be looking at the processing included in each being identical.

However, all(?) DVD players that include a HDMI output will have upscaling facilities - but you aren't forced to use them. And the image when connected via HDMI (even regardless of resolution) is typically quite stunning. The same could also be said for component connections though.

Sky+ is a tricky one to answer. Quality on channels/programmes is variable anyway, and problems with the compression can be seen even on the best small screens - increasing the screen size will make such artefacts easier to spot. Compression errors aside, I'm quite stunned in general by Sky+ on my Samsung via RGB scart, whilst others swear otherwise for the same make (albeit different models).

Thanks Braveknight, I had a fair idea of what you've explained but you rounded it up nicely for me. It sounds like it would be worth while upgrading.

I'm very tempted by the samsung option too.

The samsung DVD HD-XXX series don't appear to upscale through component which could be a problem if I suscribed to SKY HD in the future. This would use the only HDMI or DVI connection, unless I bought an expensive switcher?

There's a lot of things to consider before buying, maybe I'll wait to see what happens with SKY first. Then the next question is HD DVD/HDD recording, what will happen on that front?

braveknight said:
Upscaling DVD players will not output the typical LCD resolution of 1366x768. If you used the upscaling facilities of a DVD player, then you would have to do two scaling operations - one in the DVD to 720p or 1080i, and then another to the native resolution.

Unless there is a noticable difference in the quality of the processing, two scaling operations will not be better than one. And the processing in an inexpensive DVD player isn't likely to be any better than what is in the TV. For a TV and DVD player from the same manufacturer, you may be looking at the processing included in each being identical.

That's not strictly true. Some Samsung models output 768p, as do a few 'no-name' ones from the far east.

I also disagree with the two scaling comment. I've got an inexpensive upscaler, a Panasonic s97 for £120, and the results are exceptional. Outputting 720p to my Hitachi 32ld7200 the picture is far superior to 'standard' definition, even though it is being scaled twice.

:oops: looks like I might have started another thread argument.
Any more comments are always welcome chaps :thumbsup: .

....so why don't they make 1280x720 panels? That still confuses me. They used to be around, but now they all seem to be 1366x768, which is dumb for 720p as you have to scale a little bit. Surely its better not to scale at all, especially as these TVs are supposedly designed around HD? Not a very good design to not actually be the right size.

Even for 1080i, 720 lines is a fair multiple (1.5x 540)

Richard, the Sagem 27" is 1280x720.

Anyone, how do I post a previous comment or question in the blue boxes?

Paul101 said:
Richard, the Sagem 27" is 1280x720.

Anyone, how do I post a previous comment or question in the blue boxes?

Go to the comment and click the "Quote" button below it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom