1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling DVD player on the 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Can anyone tell me what the image is like when using an Upscaling DVD player like the Denon DVD-1910 on the Infocus 4805? If you send an upscaled 1080i signal to the 4805 which obviously must then be downscaled by the projector, how good does the image look and is it better to just send a 480p signal to begin with?

2. mojomanic

mojomanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1910 feeding a 4805 via DVI. I keep the setting at 480 having tried 720 and
    1080 and seeing no difference. ie they all look fantastic!!!

3. Mevaker Hamdina

Mevaker Hamdina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Touching on the subject of how the 4805 downscales. I am considering a 4805 and worried about playing PAL DVD (more than the 480 lines the 4805 has) and PAL TV. Any experience with that?

Thanks
    MH

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If you mean

"Is a 576p projector likely to give a better PAL image than a 480p one"

then, all things being equal, yes it is (at the end of the day, there's really no escaping this)
    However, the subjective difference at normal viewing distances isn't that big - perhaps less than the pixel numbers of the panels might suggest.
    You'd have to compare "like for like" of course, but if you consider for instance the IF5700 v IF4805, it's debatable whether that many people would ultimately prefer the 4805's PAL picture, until you get to the price tags, in which case it then becomes a personal judgement call as to whether you think the performance gap is worth the extra cash - many people decide it isn't!

That said, then probably the only way you'll settle this for yourself is to go and demo a couple of 480p units against their 576p "equivalents" - and see what you think!
    Make sure you compare "like for like" though - the resolution of the DMD panel is only one of several factors which contribute to final picture quality - in theory, it's quite possible for a well designed/set up 480p PJ to outperform a less well executed 576p one (although the manufacturers aren't daft - in practice, it's seldom going to happen)

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I bought my 4805 from the USA for the bargain price of £530 you have got to love the dollar :)
    I watch PAL dvds and NTSC and cant notice a difference myself I use my XBOX to play all my DVDs, DIVX and I use Xbox Extender(an add on to Windows media center) to watch TV I have the xbox hooked up via component and its set to 720p the picture is excellent on divx, TV and DVD nearly as good as my DLP tv.

6. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I actually viewed the 4805 and 5700 at the weekend in pretty much ideal environment settings. They fired up the 4805 first and I was stunned at how good the image was for £1000 (it was LOTR ROTK) and at 480 lines.

After about 20 mins we switched to the 5700 and there was a noticeable different (sharper image, a bit more 'atmosphere' - not exactly scientific). However, I would say that the 4805 had the deeper blacks (which you'd expect from the spec sheet).

I'm looking for a 570 line PAL PJ, and am put off Infocus. They seem to be ignoring PAL land by not producing a 5705 with the updated, better contrast, chipset (they're up to the 7210 on their HD model). I'm now looking to demo a Mits HC900 and Optoma H57 - both cheaper and with the newer chips.

Have to say though, that for £1k the 4805 was great. If this is all you want to pay, just demo that to see if you're happy. Don't torment yourself with more expensive models!

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a similar prediciment two weeks ago, went to sevenoaks in Plymouth, viewed the 4805 with the denon 3910, he upscaled the image to 720 and the quality lept up, it made the 480 lines look grainy and unfocused. Went there again the next day and tried out the Themescene H30a, wow what a projector, the quality was amazing, more detailed picture than the 4805, alot quieter and smaller than the 4805. Then we connected the H30a up to my normal PAL DVD player thru the composite input, there was a noticable drop off in quality, the close ups were ok, but when you viewed an object in the distance it looked fuzzy and out of focus. When the denon was re-connected and upscaled the images were clean and crisp. I ended up buying the Themescene H30a and the denon 3910! I only went in there for a PJ ! Have to say tho, Sevenoaks done a stunning job of reviewing all the different equipment with me, and their prices were very reasonable as well, I was going to purchase the gear off the internet, but Sevenoaks prices were slighly lower than the internet and the stock was avalible there and then, so it was a done deal!

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Squibbly

Unless both were properly calibrated to the equipment, room, and screen in use - head to head comparisons of this vs that, may not be fully valid.

The 5700 is a fair bit brighter than the 4805 - simply switching models over in the same room onto the same screen, may well result in a 5700 picture that is too bright and with higher black levels.