Upscaling DVD looks bad on Regza 100hz LCD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by xyDom, Jan 15, 2008.

1. xyDom

xyDom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have a Panasonic SC-PT450 coupled with a Toshiba 37Z3030D.
    The DVD player is connected via HDMI but the upscaled picture looks really bad (noisy).

When the same model DVD player is connected to a 40" Samsung (which also supports 1080P) the picture looks incredible.

Any ideas with regards to config on the TV? We're totally lost!

Thanks!

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    What are the picture settings of the Toshiba display?

3. xyDom

xyDom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll get them this evening if I have time (its actually my parents TV so I'll have to pop over there!).

Are there and recommended settings? I started to look through the main Z series thread but there are 150 pages :eek:

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Where does one begin? I spent about 3 hours with the settings on a Toshiba LCD.

5. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    There are some settings in the pages between 90-106 of the Z-series thread from what i remember. I have them for my TV which is the same as yours and they work fine.

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    My dad has this TV and I have found it to be tremendous. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark on it yesterday using a Toshiba HD-EP30 and it gave the best DVD picture I have ever seen on an LCD. Given he only paid £799 for it I'm rather jealous as my 26" Panasonic cost me £1000 less than 2 years ago.

I was quite surprised when What Hi-Fi gave the Toshiba 37Z3030 a mere 3 stars compared the the 5 stars and '26" LCD of the Year 2005' award given to my Panasonic since the Toshiba is a vastly superior television in every way. I suppose that's what 2 years of progress does.

Anyway, I can't remember exactly the individual numbers for each setting but I do remember that the backlight is set to 40, Active Vision is 'on', Motion Stabilization is 'standard' and the Black level is 'off'. Cinema mode was greyed out as the DVD player was feeding the TV a 1080p picture but I set it to 'on' for every else. Also, I set the colour temperature to 'natural'. It is fine to put contrast up to '100' as well. Off the top of my head I think brightness was around 50 and colour around 38. I used a combination of DVE and THX Optimiser with blue filter to set it up.