Upscaling Confusion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stigmata, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Stigmata

Stigmata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Fairly new to all this, so please bear with me!

Is it only possible to use upscaling via a HDMI lead, or does upscaling also work through other connections?

If I have a HDMI capable upscaling DVD player, is it best to use HDMI rather than say Scart for example?

Thanks for any help!

Stig

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    There are loads of threads regarding upscaling and the benefits or otherwise of HDMI, I'd suggest you try using the search facility for more info.

A quick answer would be that although technically speaking an upscaled image can also be sent via component, very few DVD players provide this facility so you'll find nearly all upscaling players will output upscaled 720p/1080i via HDMI. HDMI will have an advantage over scart due to the fact that it's an all digital connection and will also carry a progressive component video signal unlike the majority of scart inputs that will only accept composite/S-Video and RGB, not to mention the fact that scart is generally a poor interface in the first place.

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Also remember that scart connections are standard definition only, and cannot carry progressive or upscaled video.

Nick

4. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But once the 576i signal hits your HDTV, you TV will upscale it to 720p or 1080i, right? I've been wondering about this, and you guys seem to know your stuff, so maybe you could answer me?

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Not quite, your display will scale the incoming signal to it's own native resolution and output a progressive picture. If your display is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 then this will mean effectively a scaled 720p and 1080p image will be output but as most displays, LCD anyway, are 1366x768 then this will be the resolution to which the picture will be scaled up to.