Upscaling by plasma/dvd/av receiver for best picture?

GarethG

Novice Member
I am probably going for a Pioneer 428XD plasma shortly. I am a bit reluctant to go for a HD DVD/Bluray just yet and watch TV from a freeview Humax PVR9200T.

Will I get the best picture for DVDs and freeview (from the Humax) by -

1) connecting both direct to the plasma for that to upscale.
2) using the DVD player
3) using an AV receiver (possibly Onkyo 605 or 705) to sort the picture out.

I am confused!!!

GarethG

Novice Member
This was just about to slip off of the first page without any of you experts expressing an opinion!
Not going to let it happen!

nbat58

You won't get any picture upscaling with either the Onkyo 605 or 705 you need to go for at least the 875, I have read that even that does not make that much difference.
My suggestion would be to go for an AV receiver for the sound property of the device and also having the ability to connect everything to the AV receiver and only one HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv.

Scrutinizer

Sofar best SD results were obtained by feeding native 576i/480i format to the set through HDMI. The internal processing of the 428XD is of an extraordinary high quality and it will deinterlace and scale to fit the screen's resolution with great results.

You can always test at a later stage if a better result is obtainable by doing external deinterlacing and upscaling, but I personally think that will probably not be the case.

S.

GarethG

Novice Member
So, if I have this correct...

buy dvd and use its normal output via HDMI and let the plasma do the work (unless using AV receiver for just switching -if so any loss in quality?)

But what about the SCART output from the Humax?

METATRON12

Standard Member
I have almost the same query as garethg except I may wait for the pioneer full hd 1080p plasma's due to arrive in september. I mainly watch freeview thru the same humax pvr but I am concerned about possible poor quality sd reception especially on a 1080p screen. I believe the Onkyo tx-sr875 receiver uses the HQV REON-VX 1080p upscaling chip, apparantly the best upscaler in the world. Surely this would fit gareth's requirements perfectly or any one else who may wish to upgrade a plasma screen with a mediocre inbuilt scaler. It also has 1.3 hdmi's with switching facilities. Please correct me if I am wrong I am a newbie to the forum and do not want to appear presumptious

GarethG

Novice Member
Anyone help two posters using Humax?

METATRON12

Standard Member
in a recent view of the onkyo receiver with the hqv scaler HCC said the results were amazing. Is this reciever the panacea we have all been waiting for? Will it vastly improve SD on a plasma screen?. If so I will buy a plasma tomorrow and dump my 36" sony crt with drc which has an unbeatble piq with SD. Has anyone had any experience of this receiver?

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
The HQV scaler is a cut down version of one used in video processors. I would expect pretty good results.

The OP didn't mention if he had the budget to consider a dedicated video processor (which would also handle SCART very well)

GarethG - make sure your DVD player will send an interlaced signal through HDMI, most won't. Scrutinizer's recommendation depends on that.

GarethG

Novice Member
The HQV scaler is a cut down version of one used in video processors. I would expect pretty good results.

The OP didn't mention if he had the budget to consider a dedicated video processor (which would also handle SCART very well)

GarethG - make sure your DVD player will send an interlaced signal through HDMI, most won't. Scrutinizer's recommendation depends on that.

I was not looking to buy a dedicated scaler.
Sorry if my posts are a bit confusing but its cos I am!
I was looking to buy
Pioneer 428
DVD player -prob up to £400
AV amp prob up to £600

None of those fixed.
Already have the Humax 9000T.

Still not sure how to get the best picture; will the processing in DVD player help? Will AV help? If I am not worried about the cabling am I better off sending all sources direct to the plasma and letting that do all the work?

Scrutinizer

I was not looking to buy a dedicated scaler.
Sorry if my posts are a bit confusing but its cos I am!
I was looking to buy
Pioneer 428
DVD player -prob up to £400
AV amp prob up to £600

None of those fixed.
Already have the Humax 9000T.

Still not sure how to get the best picture; will the processing in DVD player help? Will AV help? If I am not worried about the cabling am I better off AFAIsending all sources direct to the plasma and letting that do all the work?
I would check out a simple, reasonably solid DVD player such as a Pioneer DV-400V which I think can do 480/576i and set the HDMI interface on the player to 480i/576i in its setup menu, thus bypassing any processing by the DVD player and instead using your TV. This will save you about £300. I would also buy a reasonably priced good quality HDMI cable such as a QED Qunex. If you use any player that can do 480i/576i, it will give identical results as long as it reads the DVDs properly. I do not think paying more would give additional benefits, not with this set. You can always audition expensive DVD players later.

AFAIK an AV amp will not enhance the picture quality of your Humax. I think it pays off to get a bit better quality SCART cable as well.

S.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom