Upscaling bluray / home theatre.

steve1967

Standard Member
Reaction score
Haven`t been around for a while but got a quick one :) I want an upscaling bluray player but do I 1/ buy one which has a built in home theatre system 2/ just buy a player and a seperate home theatre????????? Is there going to be a big difference in price and is one option better than the other? Thanks :smashin:

Haven`t been around for a while but got a quick one :) I want an upscaling bluray player but do I 1/ buy one which has a built in home theatre system 2/ just buy a player and a seperate home theatre????????? Is there going to be a big difference in price and is one option better than the other? Thanks :smashin:

All on one systems have very limited capacity to connect external kit. If you are thinking of upgrading to HD (Satellite or Terrestrial) you will do a lot better with seperates.

All on one systems have very limited capacity to connect external kit. If you are thinking of upgrading to HD (Satellite or Terrestrial) you will do a lot better with seperates.

I`ve got Sky HD already ;) so I`ll look into seperates then, thanks.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok, so what sort of speaker / sub woofer set up would be a good buy to use with this player? :)

Ok, so what sort of speaker / sub woofer set up would be a good buy to use with this player? :)

What sort of budget did you have in mind....

Yeah that would help :laugh: Don`t know really......ummm, I`d rather get something under £200 ideally!!

Is that for speakers and amp, or to include the Blu-ray too?

Being honest, I don't think it's going to be possible if you want to buy new.... some of the newer all in one systems aren't bad actually - i've installed a few for friends and sure they're not as good as a good separates system, but they're also a lot cheaper.

I've heard the Panasonic and Samsung from these and both are pretty good... i'd probably give the nod to the Samsung personally as the sub on the Panasonic took a bit of a work to tame, but if you can be bothered it is probably slightly better. The LG ones, are cheap... but i've no experience of them!

Samsung HT-C5500 Blu-Ray 5.1 ch Home Theatre System - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Panasonic SC-BT230EB-K Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

LG HB405SU 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System with DLNA & BD Live - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

LG HB905SA 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System. 1080p Upscaling, DLNA & iPod dock - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Being honest, I don't think it's going to be possible if you want to buy new.... some of the newer all in one systems aren't bad actually - i've installed a few for friends and sure they're not as good as a good separates system, but they're also a lot cheaper.

I've heard the Panasonic and Samsung from these and both are pretty good... i'd probably give the nod to the Samsung personally as the sub on the Panasonic took a bit of a work to tame, but if you can be bothered it is probably slightly better. The LG ones, are cheap... but i've no experience of them!

Samsung HT-C5500 Blu-Ray 5.1 ch Home Theatre System - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Panasonic SC-BT230EB-K Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

LG HB405SU 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System with DLNA & BD Live - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

LG HB905SA 5.1 Blu-ray Home Cinema System. 1080p Upscaling, DLNA & iPod dock - Blu-ray Player: Amazon.co.uk

Ooh, I like Panasonic stuff :smashin: Do all bluray players upscale? I need an upscaling one to play my 400 odd movies :D

What about something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARMAN-KARDON...s_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item3a5c85f58e

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ooh, I like Panasonic stuff :smashin: Do all bluray players upscale? I need an upscaling one to play my 400 odd movies :D

What about something like this HARMAN KARDON HKTS7 HOME CINEMA SURROUND SOUND SPEAKER on eBay (end time 13-Jul-10 09:48:16 BST)

The HK system you linked to is speakers only. You'll need to buy an amp or receiver to go with them, whereas the ones Scott Mac linked to are complete systems.

Upscaling is an oversold feature that marketing departments like, and seems to give the impression that it'll turn standard DVD's into some kind of HD. It won't.
It MAY produce a better picture on your TV from SD DVD's, or it may produce a worse one. Depends on whether the TV or player upscales better.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The HK system you linked to is speakers only. You'll need to buy an amp or receiver to go with them, whereas the ones Scott Mac linked to are complete systems.

Upscaling is an oversold feature that marketing departments like, and seems to give the impression that it'll turn standard DVD's into some kind of HD. It won't.
It MAY produce a better picture on your TV from SD DVD's, or it may produce a worse one. Depends on whether the TV or player upscales better.

Damn, never thought about the amp :(

Mmm, if upscaling isn`t all it`s cracked up to be then maybe it`s best not to bother then :confused:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Steve,

I'd definitely recommend going separates, you can still get real value and you'll get much more for your investment.

I can help with further advice if you need it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom