1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling and existing DVD collection

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by brantome, Oct 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. brantome

brantome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

I'm looking to buy a 37" LCD TV in the next three or so months (maybe the Tosh 37wl58(?)) and have read the FAQ re upscaling, but I'm still a bit confused. To get the best from HD, will I need to replace my current DVD player (Pioneer 656A) or recorder (Tosh RXS32) to get the best out of my existing DVDs? Even worse, will DVDs start being re-issued as HD?

TIA

2. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi - I posted a similar question about this. I too am looking at 37 inch LCG (Tosh WLT58 or JVC37DS6) and I also have the 646a dvd player.

Some of the answers I was given:
    The LCD will have its own inbuilt upscaling system - however the quality of this is likely to be poor, therefore you could purchase another DVD player with a dedicated upscaling function (e.g. these range in price from cheap the Samsung HD950 or the Oppo DVD player both £125-£160, to expensive the Denon 6910?? - circa £600) or purchase a dedicated video scaling system (these tend to be very expensive but have the advantage of being able to upscale other feeds - e.g terrestrial/digital TV).

Personally I am thinking of upgrading my DVD player to the Oppo or the Samsung to ensure my DVD's get upscaled, I will also be using HD feed from a media centre PC. I will probably keep the 656a for SACD,DVD-A as its likely to offer better sound than either of these players.

Anyway, good luck!

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    Will you need to replace your player? Maybe. TBH, I'd save the HDMI socket if you plan on a PS3 or Sky HD. Upscaling DVD players use that socket and have mixed results based on comments in the DVD players forum. You can get similar effects by having a good progressive scan player via component, or even interlaced via SCART and letting the TV do the scaling.

IMO, I'd ignore the DVD player for now, get your TV and try it out - see what you think.

DVDs will start being reissued as HD - probably next year. You'll need a new player which will need a HDMI socket (another good reason to keep it free).