Upscaling advice needed

Hi all,

I joined these forums to get an understanding of upscaling and have read around a fair few threads but would like some more specific advice on my setup.

I have a 55" Sony XG809 which uses their (old) 4K X-Reality PRO upscaler. I also have a 2017 Nvidia Shield and I'm aware that the 2019 shield models have an AI upscaler. However, I'd also read on these forums that this works by sharpening the image and often sharpens elements that are supposed to be blurry so I'm sceptical about upgrading my Shield just for the AI upscaler given some questionable findings. So I wondered if there's anything else that might make upscaling my 1080p content better, and in some cases 720p/480p for much older films.

I realise with all of these things you get what you pay for, and I've read about £30 HDMI cables that claim to do this (although I have no idea how well), all the way up to £400 HD Fury boxes. I'm on a budget so I guess my question is, is there any point in buying something cheap or would it be worth saving for something else and if so, what? It seems like a total minefield of reviews and websites with blurry/clear pictures that you scroll to show how effective their products are, and I feel lost at sea with it all. As a principle, I'm down with leaving the TV out of processing wherever possible and I have an HD Fury Arcana to handle audio for me.

Finally - I've been reading about chaining upscaling boxes and the different effects that these can have which led me to ask what is probably a very, very basic question but I'll ask it anyway; if my 2017 shield is processing the upscaling, does my TV then try to upscale as well if it is turned on, or will it realise that it is already @ 4k and leave it to the shield?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and if this is in the wrong forum then please let me know where I can repost elsewhere.

Timmeh!

Hi all,

I joined these forums to get an understanding of upscaling and have read around a fair few threads but would like some more specific advice on my setup.

I have a 55" Sony XG809 which uses their (old) 4K X-Reality PRO upscaler. I also have a 2017 Nvidia Shield and I'm aware that the 2019 shield models have an AI upscaler. However, I'd also read on these forums that this works by sharpening the image and often sharpens elements that are supposed to be blurry so I'm sceptical about upgrading my Shield just for the AI upscaler given some questionable findings. So I wondered if there's anything else that might make upscaling my 1080p content better, and in some cases 720p/480p for much older films.

I realise with all of these things you get what you pay for, and I've read about £30 HDMI cables that claim to do this (although I have no idea how well), all the way up to £400 HD Fury boxes. I'm on a budget so I guess my question is, is there any point in buying something cheap or would it be worth saving for something else and if so, what? It seems like a total minefield of reviews and websites with blurry/clear pictures that you scroll to show how effective their products are, and I feel lost at sea with it all. As a principle, I'm down with leaving the TV out of processing wherever possible and I have an HD Fury Arcana to handle audio for me.

Finally - I've been reading about chaining upscaling boxes and the different effects that these can have which led me to ask what is probably a very, very basic question but I'll ask it anyway; if my 2017 shield is processing the upscaling, does my TV then try to upscale as well if it is turned on, or will it realise that it is already @ 4k and leave it to the shield?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and if this is in the wrong forum then please let me know where I can repost elsewhere.

Timmeh!
Your TV will recognise an external 4K signal and display it as such, it cannot upscale a signal that is already 4K.

As far as upscaling HDMIs are concerned, stay well clear, no HDMI cable can improve the resolution of a video signal. In fact, your Sony probably does an OK job with upscaling, and to improve upon it you would need to spend a considerable amount of money - something like 2K plus for a Lumagen video processor.

Bear in mind also that if you are watching old SDR content, it is always going to look a bit ropey on a 4K display, due to the massive amount of upscaling required. 1080p however should look good, so if you are unhappy with the picture you get then buying a high end OLED TV would be the best solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom