• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscaler or converter - what's the difference?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I know this has already been asked on this forum in some form, but can anyone clear this up for me please?

I am thinking of getting a Component to HDMI converter for my Wii, just to see whether it does improve the picture (even slightly) or if it is just all about convenience.

I've looked online and there seems to be quite a lot of choice and price ranges - from £20 to £50, though all the devices look remarkably similar and make identical claims.

What I can't work out is that some are described as converters whilst others are described as upscalers - are they in fact one and the same thing?

Has anyone out there got any experience of using one of these devices and would they recommend them?

Thanks

Derek

p.s. I am thinking of getting this:

Neet® - Component to HDMI Converter - plus Stereo R: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or this:

Component + VGA to HDMI with 1080p Upscaler & Audio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Mark uk

Established Member
If you have already got input component connectors then use them.
I would think the component to hdmi comverter will only only inroduce more interference maybe?
If you have no component inputs I can just about see the point of these converters.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom