Upscaled DVD V's Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by AVTEZ59, Sep 18, 2007.

1. AVTEZ59

AVTEZ59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Hi all

Hope this is'nt a dumb question......:confused:

Getting Sky HD fitted this coming Thursday...currently have Sky Digibox , a Denon 1920 DVD player and a Philips 42" Plasma. The question is....is the PQ of an upscaled DVD (either 720p or 1080i) equal or inferior to a HD broadcast film ? I am hoping the answer is inferior as my expectation is that Sky HD will be far superior.

Thanks in advance.....

AVTEZ59

2. Cow Puncher

Cow Puncher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    From my experiance a HD broadcast, be it film or not, is far superior to an upscaled film.

I've seen the same film on Sky HD as i have on my upscaler (and a pal's upscaler) and it was clear that the Sky HD image was a lot more vibrant and crisp than the upscaled version.

Smaz.

3. mkcurtis

mkcurtis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I would say its inferior but it all depends on the source........ other technical people will correct me Im sure but:

You have a SD DVD, so 576 lines or so that is upscaled to 720p/1080i but it "guesses" (I know some very complicated maths goes on here) what should be in those extra lines.

With Sky HD the broadcast is, well, HD, so 720 or 1080 using the original HD/remastered source so you get a full original picture.

I do not have a upscaling DVD player so cannot say what the actual results are to be honest. I would conclude tho that a good film or doc. in HD on Sky would be better than an upscaled DVD. This will depend on the source though as Ive seen some Marilyn Munro films in "HD" on SKy and although very good for a 50 year olf film, it does not compare to the likes of Sin City, Aeon Flux, Crank, Aquarivision etc.

4. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,542
    Although not as good as blu ray or hd dvd, You should find picture quality on HD broadcasts far superior to upscaled SD dvds :)

5. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Depends on the film. Some are on par or only marginally better than upscaled DVD many are way better, good example is Crank. SQ on some films seems to be easily up to the equivalent SD dvd, IMO, casting my mind back to I Robot and FLight of the Phoenix.

Never really seen any that I would say are worse than upscaled DVD, others may beg to differ though.

6. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sky HD gives a better quality picture than upscaled DVDs ( with the DVD player going straight to the TV ). But saying that when I upscale DVDs through my Onkyo 875 amp the difference between the two is closer than you would think !

7. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    You do not need an upscaling dvd player as the display will scale any source to its native resolution anyway. The only question would be which does the best job of upscaling, the player or the display?

In either case it will not match the quality of a true HD broadcast as far as picture resolution is concerned. ( Some HD channels i.e.Sky1, do not broadcast native HD material all of the time.)
    The only other thing to factor in is if you can see the difference from your seating position. Sit too far from the screen and you may not notice so much of a difference.

8. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The above isn't the case with a HD TV like mine a standard DVD player looks awful on my TV. Even though the TV upscales the image to a certain degree its far from good. A good upscaling amp or a good upscaling DVD is needed for best results on a HD screen as it sends the signal to the display in its 'correct' format.

9. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    That sounds like it agrees with the second line of my post.
    Seems as though your display does not do such a good job of upscaling SD material.
    Not having a pop at you but this seems to be a common trait of 1080 LCD displays.

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Well this has been debated many times in the DVD player forums.

It all depends on the quality of the scaler in the DVD vs the one in the TV.

For example, Panasonic displays have a 1st rate scaler and sd processor in the TV.
    I have an Oppo DVD which is acknowledged as one of the best mid-price upscalers, but its very hard to tell any difference at all whether I use the Oppo to upscale or not when viewed through my Panasonic Plasma.

Whereas, I also have a Philips HD LCD, and the Oppo clearly does a much better job of upscaling than the display. The Philips processor is noisy and grainy in comparison. Night and day difference.

11. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The scaler in my Sony KDL-40W2000 is C*** ! ;)