• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscale DVDs or Blue ray player? Advice sought please

Williver

Standard Member
I'm brand new to this world of full HD technology. I've just procured a Samsung LE40A686M1 tv due for delivery from JL early in Feb. I want to invest in a DVD player to take advantage of the full HD capability. I also have a number of standard DVDs I do want to keep watching. Here's the question:
In my position would you invest in a dedicated blue ray player or am I better advised in buying a good standard DVD player that can upscale? Do Blue Ray players play standard DVDs? Just looking for some advice here along the lines of what you would do or to understand what the pros and cons of these two options are. Finally, to really push my luck any suggestions on good devices for each of the options would also be appreciated bearing in mind budget is a lttle tight as the TV ate most of my money :blush:. Any thoughts given will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

cabbie19

Hi, i have an up-scaling Samsung dvd player, A Samsung Blu-Ray player, and a Sony Blu-Ray player. Personally i think the Sony (BDP-S350) is my favourite. I have updated the firmware via the LAN connection to version 2.0, and find the sound and picture to be excellent. You can play normal SD dvd's on Blu-Ray players and they will be up-scaled to at least 720p, and mostly to 1080p. I have tried several old dvd's in the sony and it has always gone to full hd 1080p.
Everybody has personal favourites, but i highly recommend the Sony based on quality, update-ability, and price (i paid £169 for mine from amazon).
Hope this is helpful to you. ATB Jamie.

Gavtech

Administrator
In my position would you invest in a dedicated blue ray player or am I better advised in buying a good standard DVD player that can upscale?

Welcome to the forum.

Bluray. There is an enormous difference between true HD equipment and SD equipment masquerading as HD. [ Basically nonsense. ]

I wish I had never heard of 'upscaling'

Last edited:

Williver

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback Cabbie19 and Gavtech. A Blue Ray player it is and the the Sony sounds like all I need. Just need to find the best price now. Thanks a lot.:clap:

cabbie19

:thumbsup: You're welcome, dont forget to get yourself a good quality HDMI lead to connect them up. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

G

gpl1968

:thumbsup: You're welcome, dont forget to get yourself a good quality HDMI lead to connect them up. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

Remember good quality dosen't have to mean expensive.

The Sony is a good choice, I have one:thumbsup:.
Also If you have a Costco card, or know someone who has one, they are selling the Panasonic bd35 for £160 this week.

cabbie19

Remember good quality dosen't have to mean expensive.

The Sony is a good choice, I have one:thumbsup:.
Also If you have a Costco card, or know someone who has one, they are selling the Panasonic bd35 for £160 this week.

Good point, i get my leads from that well known auction site. Version 1.3 cable 1.5 metre about £10 all in, (as an example).:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom