Upscale & colour space query

mwebb

Standard Member
I'm sure this must be a FAQ (and I think I already know the answer), but when an upscaling player sticks out an HD resolution from an SD DVD disc, does it come out in the original ITU 601 SD colour space or does it get 'transcoded' to the ITU 709 HD colour space (to 'match' the higher resolution)?

Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Mark W.

spooney

I never heard about those standards (still learning something new every day) but 'all' upscaling does is to add extra pixels. The more money your throw in the better placed the extra pixels will be :D (= better picture quality)

mwebb

Standard Member
Further investigation suggests that when players upscale they also adjust the colour space to make the image match HD standards. HD can display a wider range of colour than SD, but the difference in the RGB primaries isn't uniform so a mismatch in colour spaces can lead to colour shifts (as I understand it). SD colour space = ITU 601, HD colour space = ITU 709.

spooney

What if you post this into the video processor forum?
There are a few people in there familiar with each single bit and transistor in these devices. They propably will know.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom