• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upscale Blu-ray ??

pops107

Prominent Member
Hello all,

Been searching around for a bit of Information regarding upscaling Blu-ray's

I have quite a large selection of Blu-ray films and don't want to start buying the all in UHD Blu-ray's, I have a Sony BDP-780 witch in its day is cracking player.

so to the question I am trying to decide weather to get a 4k player to upscale Blu-ray or just let the TV do it witch is best at upscaling ??

TV is a Samsung Q9FN

Thanks

Fred Smith

Prominent Member
Depending on how you set up the 4K player either it or the TV will up-scale. As to which is best only you can decide.

pops107

Prominent Member
Depending on how you set up the 4K player either it or the TV will up-scale. As to which is best only you can decide.

That's the problem don't want to shell out on a 4k player if I am not going to get any benefit from it

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Don't know if you are still pondering this, but I recently upgraded my Oppo 95 EU Blu-Ray player to a Sony X-800 UHD player and I would say that the Sony upscales better than the Oppo's native 1080p.

But, I also think this depends on what player you get. Mine was a mid-price machine at £350 (I think it was £500 at launch), but you can get cheap players at around £150 or completely push the boat out and spend £1000+.

I don't regret buying a UHD player even though, like you, I don't intend to replace all my Blu's with 4K discs. But at least the UHD option is there so I have a choice.

Good luck!:)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom