Upsaling advice! or another "What player?" thread

[email protected]

Hi

I know these sort of threads are done to death but I'm looking at getting an upscaling DVD player shortly to go with my new panel.

Can anyone shed any light on what has probably the best capabilities across the following as far as upscaling goes. I'm not bothered on the merits/drawbacks of HD/Blu Ray as thats for a different forum.

1 - PS3
2 - Oppo 981
3 - Toshiba HD-EP10

Or alternatively are there any others I should be looking at?

Thanks
Tim

pwood

If you are considering a PS3 then go right on and buy one. I was very suprised how good the upscaled PQ was when I got mine (after the software update) its up there with DVD players costing far more . The only thing that may annoy is fan noise and you really should get the dedicated remote. I am not hardcore gamer BTW but do find myself going for "one more lap, just one more:D".

[email protected]

Cheers
I currently run a 360 on a 4 year old Panny PW5 Plasma and that is my gaming platform of choice. The games side of the PS3 and Blu Ray would be a bonus and not a deal breaker for me but have heard that it makes a very good DVD player. Just how loud is the fan noise on these - surely can't be anywhere near the 360. Is it loud enough to interfere with or be obtrusive over normal viewing volume etc

Mind you, i have a Virgin V+ box sat under the TV and you can hear that at a very low audible level all the time.

I've read up on the Oppo thread and theres lots that rave but also some that are not so enthused about it. Also, with the Toshiba I've also read mixed reports about its capability.

I'd prefer HD to BD as there appears to be more on HD that I would prefer to see but as I say the main use would be as a DVD player first and foremost and that discussion should be on a different forum - any other features would be a bonus.

pwood

Fan noise depends on sighting if its upright and not in a rack heat will not build up as quick and 2nd fans will not kick in as quick when watcing a film. Mines in a rack. Its louder than Sky HD box but not 360 levels which is why I waited on PS3 and I could not put up with 360 levels. The PS3 is software upgradeable and therefore again the most( not totally nothing ever could be) future proof of your list.

[email protected]

Thanks
Whatever I get will be horizontal in a glass rack. There wont be anything sat next to it and airflow will be fine.

I'm having a trawl through the forums for info on each of the players and like everything, each have their proponents and their criticisms.

[email protected]

Question is now obsolete. The missus bought a PS3 when she was out. She knew I was looking at them and she liked the shininess, so there we go. If its no good I'l have to buy a cheapy upscaling player to complement it.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom