• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

UPS or Surge Protector for Samsung LCD??

A

AngeTheHippy

Hi Chaps, me again.

Do you think, now I live rurally, and we have power outages from time to time. For the first time in ages, this week we've had 3 - the first 2 were for literally 2 second, the third, last night, for about 10 seconds. Was watching TV at the time. Do you think it would help if I got a UPS or Surge protector? I was wondering, we all know that surge protection is a good idea for our PCs, but what about LCD TVs?

Ange
x
:confused:

Batman2

Distinguished Member
I would, I have 2 Belkin Maximum Series surge protectors with 16 sockets in total all used and protected. My mains power for the room is on a completely different circuit, so if the fuses for the house go then my room will continue to work.

I got mine from Amazon as it is really cheap, usually around £30+ in places like PC World.

Belkin Surgemaster 8 Way 2m Cable Phone/Modem/DSL/Broadband and Arial/ Cable/ Modem Protection

@AMAZON - £18.76

41JBVYBC5ML._SS400_.jpg

A

AngeTheHippy

so you think just the Surge Protector rather than a UPS would do the trick? I'd only need to connect the TV, Cinemasound,DVD recorder and sometimes the XBox. So this should suffice then? I've got one on the PC (had it for years).

x

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Well living in the big city I might get either 1 or 2 power cuts in a year.
I think the UPS is more for PC as you will lose all your work if you have not saved it and you get a power cut.

Apparantly you get spikes in the electricity all the time so a surge protector is a must to protect your investments.

I have connected to mine

Xbox 1
Yamaha DSP Amp
SKY TV
Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD/DVD Recorder
PS3
Subwoofer
Samsung M86 LCD TV
DSL Modem
P.C.
LCD Monitor
Wi-Fi Router
Logitech Mouse Charger
2 x ICYBOX hard drives
1 x Western Digital My Book Pro hard drive
1 x Toshiba hard drive

MrLOL

Established Member
UPS is overkill for a TV

Servers have a UPS to prevent data loss, not to stop damage to the server. Computers dont usually suffer physical damage as a result of being turned off improperly. They just get corrupt hard drives.

as your TV doesnt have data that can be corruped (it has no hard drive) a UPS is overkill.

A

AngeTheHippy

Crikey Batman2, you are well protected! Think I'd better go the same route as you though, and get that surge protector.

Thanks very much for your help.

A
x

Well living in the big city I might get either 1 or 2 power cuts in a year.
I think the UPS is more for PC as you will lose all your work if you have not saved it and you get a power cut.

Apparantly you get spikes in the electricity all the time so a surge protector is a must to protect your investments.

I have connected to mine

Xbox 1
Yamaha DSP Amp
SKY TV
Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD/DVD Recorder
PS3
Subwoofer
Samsung M86 LCD TV
DSL Modem
P.C.
LCD Monitor
Wi-Fi Router
Logitech Mouse Charger
2 x ICYBOX hard drives
1 x Western Digital My Book Pro hard drive
1 x Toshiba hard drive

A

AngeTheHippy

Yes, I can see it would be overkill to get a UPS. I'll get the Surge protector instead.

Many thanks,

A
x

UPS is overkill for a TV

Servers have a UPS to prevent data loss, not to stop damage to the server. Computers dont usually suffer physical damage as a result of being turned off improperly. They just get corrupt hard drives.

as your TV doesnt have data that can be corruped (it has no hard drive) a UPS is overkill.

MrLOL

Established Member
Crikey Batman2, you are well protected! Think I'd better go the same route as you though, and get that surge protector.

Thanks very much for your help.

A
x

ive got the same Surge Protector

Belkin provide an unlimited warranty on it. So if anything does get damaged, claim on the warranty on the surge protector.

A

AngeTheHippy

It's only gonna have TV,DVD,CinemaSound and somtimes the XBox.

Thanks again guys,
A
xx

ive got the same Surge Protector

Belkin provide an unlimited warranty on it. So if anything does get damaged, claim on the warranty on the surge protector.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom