Uprade path for cobbled-together 5.1 system with Diamond 9.0s

Green Tentacle

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my humble 5.1 system on the cheap.

I'm using some Wharfedale 9.0s (the smaller bookshelves) as fronts, some old Sony hifi speakers as rears, a repurposed Boston Acoustics sub and a (pretty poor) Yamaha centre speaker that came with the receiver. The receiver is a basic 2000s Yamaha one via optical.

My upgrade route will likely be centre -> fronts -> sub -> receiver. I'll likely be happy repurposing the 9.0s as rears long-term.

So my questions are:
1. Is this the best upgrade route?
2. If so, what would you recommend for a centre? The matching Wharfedale centres are hard to find, and seem overpriced to me. I like the look of the Qacoustics 3090C which is £80 at Richer Sounds.

Any help is hugely appreciated :)

What is your max budget you looking to spend right away and in future for speakers and sub?

Room size and listening distance to LCR?

Do you have tv middle of short/long wall, not some compromised corner tv situation?

Which finish you prefer for speakers?

What is your max budget you looking to spend right away and in future for speakers and sub?

Room size and listening distance to LCR?

Do you have tv middle of short/long wall, not some compromised corner tv situation?

Which finish you prefer for speakers?
Max budget right now is not much, £100 to get me started. Long term I'd want to spend less than £1000 to include a receiver.

Small-medium sized room around 3m from lcr. The TV is in the middle of a long wall but I'm very restricted with speakers as there's a doorway to the left of the TV and a unit immediately to the right. Towerspeakers won't work and for bookshelves I only have around 30cm either side of the TV.

Finish I'd be looking for black ideally, matte.

Thanks!

Max budget right now is not much, £100 to get me started. Long term I'd want to spend less than £1000 to include a receiver.

Small-medium sized room around 3m from lcr. The TV is in the middle of a long wall but I'm very restricted with speakers as there's a doorway to the left of the TV and a unit immediately to the right. Towerspeakers won't work and for bookshelves I only have around 30cm either side of the TV.

Finish I'd be looking for black ideally, matte.

Thanks!
It sounds like you have the front three scrambled very closely together with 55-65" tv. Is there any way to change the order of room so couch would go on that short wall where the door is and tv/av-system opposite side or something similar? It`s not the most ideal if you have the front L/R now 1,5m apart and center is between them and you sit 3m away from them.

Have you tried disabling center channel from Yamaha menu as in where you see which speakers you have in use you would put Centre Off/None and run the system as 4.1?! If you haven´t tried this yet you should play few movies without the Yamaha centre. If it would work you could just put the center channel money in to better main speakers.

Can you check and report which Yamaha model you got there? Example RX-V463.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom