UPnP or SMB server for iMac?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by clockworks, Jan 11, 2012.

1. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I've got a media player (Pixel Magic HD-MB200) that I've only been using to play content stored on it's local hard disk. It works fine, but it means that I have to transfer files to it using a laptop.

It has an ethernet connection, and, since the last firmware upgrade, it supports both SMB and UPnP servers.

Which server is likely to work best, and is there a decent free server available? Originally I was just going to try this for music files, but the player can handle most video formats, too, so I might give video a try as well.

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    UPnP/DLNA would be the best option as your player is quite old and has limited media support, Serviio will transcode in real time the video making it playable on the MB200.

Also due to it's age it may not have a compatible version of samba built in so streaming via SMB2 under OSX Lion may not work.

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded Serviio, and added a couple of folders to it's library. I need to get round the back of AV rack and add a switch to the single network cable (so that I can share it with my AVR and PVR), so I'll do that later.

I'm running 10.5.8.

The HD-MB200 is a few years old, but it does sound very good, especially through an external DAC.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Finally got around to fitting the network switch, and trying Serviio. Unfortunately, it doesn't support wav files, and that's the only uncompressed format that my media player does support. Bit of a problem, that.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with compatibility when I get my new HP microserver, running WHS11.

5. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    There are plenty of other media servers out there you might want to try though they are usually commercial software like Twonky for Mac, TvMobili for Mac is free.

If you have a Windows server Mezzmo or Wild Media Server are also worth considering.

Lastly a future version of the Plex media server is getting DLNA support so it can stream to DLNA devices so you might have a free option through that.