UPnP on PS3

HDPete

Novice Member
What is the point of this setting. I understand what UPnP is, but I can't browse my PS3 from my PC in Vista's Network Control Centre when looking at Network Devices. I'm running the latest firmware.

I don't want to have to install a web server on the PC. Is there a way of browsing the PS3 content from a PC with UPnP or not?

If I have a NAS solution with a PC running something like Slimserver, can the PS3 connect to it?

Thanks
Pete

There are many parts to the UPnP spec.

The part that Sony currently implements, is UPnP port forwarding, which basically opens and closes ports in a NAT router enviroment, as and when needed.

To use a NAS mediasever like Twonkyvision or MediaCentre Entender, they need to implement UPnP Media Rendering.

I too am hoping this comes along soon, even if it's initially for music (easier), followed by video later.

Ataripower

I am also waiting for this functionality. I want to use the PS3 to access all my music from my NAS drive and play it through my AV setup. Currently using a Philips Stremium SLM5500 to do this and can't understand why Sony have failed to implement this relatively straight-forward functionality in the software. Perhaps i'm just being impatient as usual!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom