Uploading to Youtube: The Algorithm makes no sense!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Jules, May 15, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    About 6 months ago, I started making videos and uploading them to youtube.
    The videos area all about film and sound production tips and tutorials, gear, and some behind the scenes action.

Some of my best videos that provide good information (and took quite a while to plan and produce) get only a handful of views, while others I consider trash do much better. It makes no sense to me.

I add keywords and custom thumbnails, I've even added subtitles and uploaded in 4K on some of them to see if it makes a difference... it doesn't! It appears completely random.

It does seam that if you name drop a product in the title, the video does better. Otherwise nobody will see it.
    My channel is www.youtube.com/picturedmedia

What's the real secret?

2. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My channel has the same type of response as yours. The best response I got was for tutorials on Audacity. However, none compare with the "professionals" who have a sponsor such as Patreon. I think it is a paid service that you get a return on your investment & how many videos you post. I watch a lot of sailing stuff such as La-Vagabond, the lifestyle of a couple of sailors in the carribbean at the moment. They've just had a baby & every video they post now shows her breast feeding. Another is the Old Sea Dog an Englishman Barrie Perrins, whose just come back from the dead so to speak. Take a look at their offerings & see if you can do something similar.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Could I take a look at your channel?

4. stearman65

stearman65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you mean mine just click the youtube link.

5. arty tribe

arty tribe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This could run and run, we all seem to have much the same issues. On my channel, ‘Parkinson’s Walks’, You Tube I cover a lot of different walking situations. Anything to do with trains flies out the door, whereas most of the others, which in my opinion are much better, go nowhere.

Case of finding your audience I guess.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:22 PM
  6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Link doesn't work as its an 'internal' link to your own channel. So when I click it, it takes me to my channel.