Uploading software - I need your help!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Lawe, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in need of help!
    Got myself a Nokia 3510i and went buying on ebay and bought a couple of things. One product bought is a Data Cable. I bought this so I could upload new ringtones and Pictures. This is were I now have come un stuck.

I have tried looking for free software so I can upload these ringtones/pictures but no joy.
    I have tried mobile manager (I think thats what it was called) but could not get the computer talking to the phone. Followed the help pages step by step, even removed the driver for COM 1 as per the help page but no joy.

Now I think I'm doing something wrong but if any you out there can steer me in the right direction I would be thankful.

Cheers

2. aidy

aidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

the 3510i has no facility for a data cable, so u must be usin a non genuine nokia product.

this will invalidate any warranty you have with your phone so i would proceed with caution.

adrian

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302

Wrong it does - like most other Nokias.

How does uploading ringtones invalidate the warranty ?

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    There are two 'buses' that the cable can connect on - M bus and F bus. One or both may not be connecting- the majority of cables sold nowadays are auto switching, try and get a manual cable- which one do you have ? Try Logomanager and see if you can connect http://www.logomanager.co.uk/download.php?action=getdemo&product=10 . Who sold you the cable ?

5. aidy

aidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

your so wrong at least read my post

fact 1

the nokia 3510i does not have a genuine data cable produced by nokia

http://nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,2193,00.html

i cant see any data cable there can u?

fact 2

taken from the club nokia charter

"Phones that have been subject to liquid ingress, customer damage or unauthorised engineering are not covered by the Nokia warranty.
    Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for faults caused by the use of non Nokia approved accessories or software."

now i think thats 2-0 to me :lesson: :lesson:

adrian

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302

Firstly your comment was not that Nokia didn't produce a data cable but,
    - you then proceded to aknowledge that Nokia don't sell an official cable by stating,

Perhaps you have jumped to the conclusion that because Nokia don't supply a data cable for that handset, then the handset cannot have a takeoff point. Again read your first erroneous statement ''the 3510i has no facility for a data cable'' - you are simply wrong to state this - lift the battery out and you should see the connection port !

As for your second point, connecting a data cable (recall that Nokia do sell data cables for uploading to hand sets) in it's self is hardly likely to be a factor to cause damage to the hand set and the Nokia compatible software has been tried and tested that it's likely to have less bugs then oem supplied software.

I don't know why you feel the need to think this is about some kind of scoring points - perhaps it's your immaturity ?

7. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I got the cable of ebay - Hongkong gadgets. came with a cd full of logos, ringtones etc.

I tried logomanger and got the phone talking to the computer.
    So this part works, however I then tried MobiMB again but still unable to connect the phone with the software.

I checked the settings from logomanager and it came up with this:
    "MBUS cable on COM1" Going further into the connections it also says this "DAU-9P (MBUS)".

Now if you think that I should bin the cable I have and get another from somewhere else then I will go ahead but if this the case then where do you recommend? they have them for sale on the logomanager site. Are these good?
    I have also seen USB versions on ebay for £10. Are these good?

Sorry for so many questions but any knowledge that I gain now, I can only but help others that may be in the same boat as I am!

Cheers

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The fact that you can connect using your cable on the 'M' bus is a start. 'F' bus is used for unlocking, i assume you don't require this ? I'm not familiar with MobiMB so am not in a position to offer advice regarding that aspect - perhaps someone else can assist there. The Logomanager that you've dowloaded is capable of uploading ringtones and pictures to your handset, why not use that ? It's easy to convert from the demo to the full version ;)

9. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the quick reply:cool:

Your right in saying that unlocking is not needed. All I wanted to do was upload new Polyphonic ringtones and new wallpaper as I can see a way of re-jigging a photo of my son and upload that to the phone.

I assume that logomanager can only upload the "older" style of logos and ringtones?:confused:

10. aidy

aidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

as i said using none genuine products including facias, data cables or handsfree kits will invalidate your nokia warranty. a sipmle fact that is stated in your user manual

the connection point you are talking about is the service point for the phone not a data connection point. but i know and u know that data cables can be put there doesnt mean they wont invalidate your warranty.

so my point is true there is no official way of connecting a data cable to a 3510i without invalidating your warranty.

adrian

11. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I invalidate the warranty then so be it. I am not trying to alter the way the phone works or even trying to unlock it. All I wish to do is upload ringtones and pictures to my phone that will not cost me £3,000,000 a minute or what ever it costs.