1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading pictures to Pixmania

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by higenbs1, May 11, 2005.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have recently been away on holiday, and now need to get some digital prints developed. I was just going to wander into Jessops or Boots, when I received an email from Pixmania saying I can get all sorts of discounts with them.
    From looking at their website, it would appear that you upload the photos to their site, they then print them and despatch them to you.
    As I've got a 256Mb card full, does anyone know how long the upload would take? Do they use any sort of lossless compression to speed this process up? I'm on 512 broadband, although can get hold of 10Mb at work.

More important, I guess, does anyone use Pixmania for this purpose, and are the prints any good? They say they use professional Fuji paper.

Certainly the cost of doing this seems a lot cheaper than Jessops/Boots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

2. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bump

Anyone???

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    try photobox.net, very very good swift service and decent prices

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The cost is actually cheaper at boots and jessops at 10p per 6x4 print, even if you order 2000 prints, it still works out more! Although if you use a 4:3 format camera, as far as i know boots don't yet offer the 6x4.5 inch print size, so you'll lose some of your picture. Also as a side bonus, i always seem to get the tasty sales assistants :devil:

For ultimate print quality and bigger reprints, definately recommend www.photobox.com also, have used them for 18x12s and 30x20s, always stunning, and fairly good value for money IMHO. And more often than not they have some kind of offer on one print size or another.

5. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having bought a camera from Pixmania in the past I get all these offers too. I don't read them anymore. The last time I checked they only gave good prices on really small prints - and those prices could easily be beaten. I have used bonusprint a couple of times. First time was for 300 prints ! Those I put on CD and posted to them with a cheque.

In answer to your question about upload times - the last lot I uploaded for printing was 340Mb and I started the upload last thing at night and just left it to get on with it. 7 hours later when I checked it was finished but I don't know how long it actually took. There was no compression involved as you cannot compress jpeg files anyway. I had ntl 600k broadband at the time so about 100k up.

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    There is a price comparison engine on pricerunner.com may be worth while looking into...

I just used a service like this for the first time...I wanted to use peak digital imaging as they at least post the ICC profiles for their printers online. Unfortunately their upload software user interface doesn't scale and as my laptop is 1920x1200 I couldn't read what I was doing...Real shame....

I decided to go with bonusprint. All images were in the aRGB colour space and printed spot on compared to onscreen view. I was actually really impressed, my 42 pictures combined to 58Mb upload (I processed RAW and saved the result as JPEG-10 optimised). Price per print was £0.12 on 6x4 format plus £1.20 for posting...

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I use photobox for most things these days - recently got a bunch of wedding pics printed at 9x6 and was very impressed. Upload time was a few hours tho as they were pretty big files. I have been tempted by Pixmanias offers but so far never used them. I did notice the do a 100 pack of small prints for quite cheap - might be useful for proofing stuff.

On a side note...I'm going to try a few hand-adjusted prints from Panther Imaging on Clerkenwell Road to see how they compare. They come highly recommended but i've not taken the plunge yet.